Chapter 29 - Abhimanyu - Full Circle

The moment I turned on the ignition to my car, the Apple CarPlay connected itself and I waited just seconds before I dialed Akshara's number.

The phone rang.

And it kept ringing.

But no answer.

That's when I heard it go to voicemail.

So I tried again.

And again.

And again.

But every single time, it kept going to voicemail.

I kept redialing her number whilst simultaneously driving aimlessly around the city, thinking of all the possible places where she could have gone.

If not her maybe I can try her friend?

The only number I had was Reet's. I pressed a button from my steering wheel and spoke into my car's CarPlay system.

"Call Reet."

A few rings went through before Reet answered her phone.

"Abhimanyu?" She answered on the third ring, sounding surprised.

"Hey. Have you by any means heard from Akshara?" I asked, hurriedly.

"Er...Akshara? No. Not since the last time...since our date —ow! Armaan!" I could heard muffled voices on the other end.

Clearly things had worked out well for both Reet and Armaan. Had it been any other time, I would have laughed but not today.

"Okay, can you call me the moment you hear from her?"

"Is everything alright? Between you and Akshara?"

"It will be as soon as I find her. But call me if you hear from her."

"Do you want me to try calling her?" She asked.

"Oh yeah! Could you?" I had been so worried out of my mind that the thought of having someone else try contacting her hadn't even crossed my mind.

"Sure. And I'll call you back the moment I hear something."

"Thank you." I replied back, earnestly.

Just as I ended the phone call with Reet, I pulled up beside Akshara's apartment. Maybe she had decided to go home.

After buzzing myself in with the security, I rang her doorbell repeatedly but came back empty handed.

No answer.

But I kept ringing the doorbell like a mad man.

I knew what I had done was unforgivable. I should have been more understanding. More patient. And I will grovel for the rest of my life for it too but I won't let her go.

I pressed the door bell again. My spirit declining with each passing second. Only this time, I heard the small clicking of the door handle, making me perk up.

Akshara.

Only it wasn't.

The door opened and there standing, disoriented was her roommate —the one she mentioned countless times but the one I had never met.

"What?" She growled, yawning.

"Akshara?" I asked quizzically, trying my best to get a peek into the apartment.

"You must be Abhimanyu." She stated casually. "She's not here. Haven't seen her since yesterday morning when I came back from work and she was leaving."

I nodded my head. "Okay. But can you call me the moment you hear from her?" I pleaded, adding, "Please."

"Why? Did you two have a fight?" She asked, perking up protectively for Akshara.