Chapter 46 - Akshara - The Reunion

One Month Later

My hands automatically moved along the guitar strings as I sang the opening verse to Life is Beautiful as my client Arabella, a 40 year old heart patient,
for the day was interested in listening to my Hindi compilation. However even though the lyrics came out of my mouth as second nature, my mind was still occupied by the happenings of the past month.

It had been an entire month since Abhimanyu and I had returned from Los Angeles. A month since I had last seen my family. A month since Bade Papa's words pierced through my heart.

A month since Abhimanyu and I officially moved in together. A month since our life has been an absolute bliss.

Just as I finished the song, Arabella clapped for me. "Yay! The song is beautiful!"

"Thank you, I hope you enjoyed it." I replied back. I checked my watch to see it was around 4pm, perfect time for me to get home and get started on dinner.

"We sure did."  Another familiar voice added, behind me.

I turned around and got up from my chair, recognizing the voice d and looked up to see Bade Papa entering the room while simultaneously clapping his hands with Abhimanyu behind him.

"Bade Papa?" The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. Then my eyes found Abhimanyu. "Abhi?"

"Akshu." Bade Papa called my name with a soft smile on his face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, hesitantly.

But it was Abhimanyu who answered. "Bade Papa called me a week ago, asking whether he could come and observe you in your zone —your workplace. And I said of course —only if he was here to witness the independent girl you had become —and respect and value your professional commitments."

I nodded my head, too stunned to say anything so I said the only thing which my mouth would allow me — "Oh."

"After you left a month ago, every single day was a lesson to me. Maaji, Swarna, Kairav, Vansh stopped talking to me. And when they did, all they said was how unfair I was to you. They reminded me that you were like both your father and mother —how could I have forgotten? You are resilient, a hard worker —and so how would you not succeed?"

"Bade Papa?!" I questioned, my eyes going moist at the comparison with my parents —the strongest people I knew.

"Yes. Abhimanyu was right you know, in bid to upheaval my ego, to protect you, I was the one who failed. I failed you by leaving you alone —leaving you to fight the world alone which is exactly what I was trying to protect you from."

"Please don't say that." I ushered, feel terrible.

"No but now, seeing you treat your patients with your music and actually helping them cope with their illness —it's marvelous. I can't even put into words what I saw from the window as you were so engrossed in your music. But I saw the smile your music brought on the patients face. How even for a short time —it lessened their pain. That is commendable."

"Thank you." I answered, looking back behind Bade Papa at Abhimanyu —the man I loved, my real strength.

"Akshara is the best. Her music therapy is doing wonders for me —helping me." Arabella gave her personal client review from the patient bed behind me, making all of us laugh a little.

"Thank you. Now I know." Bade Papa accepted the compliment, quietly tapping my chin in fatherly adoration.

"You relax now Ms. Lancaster, we'll see you soon." Abhimanyu spoke next, as he ushered us out of her room.