Chapter 45 - Abhimanyu - The Confrontation

"What is she doing here?" His voice sounded throughout the living room.

"Bade Papa, Akshu is here!" Kairav exclaimed happily, walking up to a stoic faced Manish who had just entered from the front door.

"I see. Why is she finally back? To apologize for her stupidity? Is she ready to come back now?"

"Manishji?!" The colour drained from Swarna's face as slowly, one by one, everyone stepped away from Akshara to look at Manish in silence. I stepped up and slid my fingers through hers.

"No. I came to say hello. I m-missed you." Akshara whispered.

"Oh. You've said your hello. You may leave now. I believe you know where the door is." Manish answered, curtly.

"Manish, Akshu came back after such a long time. Please don't do this." Mimi pleaded.

"She is the one who left us. She can't keep leaving and coming back as she pleases." Bade Papa accused, cold heartedly. His word the finality of all decisions.

Akshara nodded her head. "He's right, Mimi. I should go." Akshara said softly, lowering her face to stare at the ground.

I didn't say a word as Akshara turned to leave and I followed her lead. But before we did, she turned around and gave Bade Papa a final glance.

"Won't you even ask me how I managed all these years? How I am? What I'm doing?" She asked in a silent plea.

"You have a man on your arm and he looks like he's well to do —so I assume you're doing alright for yourself." He responded, bitterly, making Akshara tremble.

Akshara gripped my hand, squeezing it tight as I fled the veins of forehead starting to pop and my anger beginning to take a stronghold. I held myself back as a courtesy to Akshara, not wanting to hurt her more than necessary.

"Akshu is completing her masters in music therapy Bade Papa!" Kairav offered, breaking the tension in the room.

"And she's been working as an intern at the Birla Hospital." Swarna gushed.

"Our Akshu is independent now. She put herself through school whilst working as a bartender." Mimi's eyes shone bright with pride.

"Working at a hospital, earning peanuts." Bade Papa scoffed, making me clench my fists.

"But I'm happy." Akshara whispered, finally answering his assault of questions.

"Happy?" He questioned. "Happy to be working as a lowly bartender to put yourself through college only to end up as an intern? My granddaughter —struggling her way in life because she is too stubborn to see what's good for her." He spit out, making Akshara flinch.

"Enough!" I yelled, losing the last strand of patience I had, making Akshara flinch. I squeezed her hand one last time before letting go.

"You only see Akshara's struggles but fail to even acknowledge her accomplishments! One 18 year old girl put herself through an undergrad degree and is finishing up her masters in the field she's passionate about —after working various jobs and countless hours so she can pay off her student loans. Which she did, by the way. That is an accomplishment worth acknowledging. Applauding!" My voice boomed across the house, adamant, strong, unyielding.

"How dare you talk do me in that tone?!" Bade Papa shouted.

"I'm not done yet! Why are you mad at Akshara? That she chose to be independent or that she dared to think different? That she dared to chose a life away from your shadow? What are you so afraid of? That she won't need you anymore? That she would leave you? I understand and sympathize with you. You lost your son and your daughter-in-law and you don't want to lose your grandkids but inadvertently by trying to protect them —by bubble wrapping them, you are the one pushing them away!"

"Abhi!" Akshara exclaimed, helplessly.

"I'm sorry Bade Papa. You are elder than me and I respect you but you need to stop thinking low of Akshara and the life she's chosen for herself. What she's doing is important. My patients —which are also her patients thank her for spending time with them. Her music, her presence is making a difference in their lives. Akshara —she is making a difference in their lives. In fact I'm the one who should be grateful to Akshara for being the one to make a difference in my life." I finished, turning back to glance at Akshara.

"I'm taking Akshara back with me. Mimi, Kairav, Badi Maa, Vansh, you all are welcome to visit us in New York but Akshara will only come back here once she and her profession, her passion starts to be valued. Until then, she won't ever step a foot in this house." I said with finality earning nods from all over the room.

"And you Bade Papa, feel free to come and visit us in New York as well once you're able to think beyond the hurt you're feeling and begin to see Akshara is hurting equally." I finished, grabbing Akshara's hand and pulling a disheartened Akshara towards the exit, leaving a row of disappointed Goenka's in our wake.

~*~

"Abhi, are you okay?" Akshara asked me as we entered our hotel room.

"You haven't said a word since the moment we came back. You were quiet the entire car ride as well." She pressed further, concerned.

I went and sat down on the bed, folding my hand in my lap as I avoided Akshara's cornered gaze.

"I'm sorry Akshara. That was all a mistake. I shouldn't have forced you into visiting your family." I apologized profusely.

Akshara came and sat beside me, putting my hand in her lap and caressing it.

"Abhi..."

"No Akshara. I should have listened to you. You were right."

"No Abhi. What you did was absolutely required. Because of you I was able to meet my family again. Mimi, Badi Maa, Kairav bhaiyaa, there was  so much that I missed. Being able to talk to them, hug them —it wouldn't have been possible without you."

"Ak—..."

"I don't regret today at all." Akshara said, getting up from the bed and facing me.

She cupped my face in her hands as she stood between my legs. I allowed myself to grip her waist as I rested my cheek against her stomach.

"I love you." I said, pulling back to stare at Akahara's eyes.

"I l love you too." She replied, softly touching her lips against mine, kissing me passionately.

I allowed myself to surrender to the kiss as I clutched Akshara's waist tighter pulling her into me. Akshara kissed me further as I leaned back flat on the bed as Akshara crawled over me.

"You still owe me a trip to Disneyland." Akshara added, pulling back from the kiss as she removed her top and bottoms.

"I do. Tomorrow. Promise. And no surprises this time." I added honestly as I unbuttoned by jeans and removed my shirt, allowing Akshara to ride me.

Neither of us were explicitly saying it but both Akshara and I needed this —needed each other more than we let on.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Short chapter but a much needed one! Only about 2-3 more chapters to go!