009. nightmare

"IT WAS ALL A NIGHTMARE," Naoki soothed, stroking Kasper's hair. "When you wake up, you'll be safe in bed, with nothing but the memories of a bad dream. All right?" 

Kasper nodded, clinging to her, shivering. 

"There you go," Naoki gestured for Xandra. 

She passed her one of those smokey yellow bottles, Damia gas. It had been diluted in the lab, distilled down to a very slight essence. A memory-wiping potion, crafted meticulously in the science classrooms of King's High. Naoki uncapped it carefully, then handed it to Kasper. 

"Drink this, it'll help," she reassured. 

He drank it without question, too shell-shocked to protest. As soon as the faint liquid touched his lips, his eyes fluttered, his gaze going soft. He relaxed into her arms. 

"There you go," Naoki murmured. "Safe and sound. Now go. Wake up." 

Kasper's eyes shut. And then he was gone.

All four of them relaxed, heaving sighs. Naoki sat back on her haunches, shutting her eyes, taking deep breaths.

"You okay?" Paris asked, touching her shoulder. 

She stiffened for a moment under his grasp, and he wondered if it had been a mistake to comfort her. Then she softened, and looked up at him with such a soft smile, Paris felt like he'd been hit with a pile of bricks. 

"Yeah. Just emotionally drained. You guys never had to see that part before, because usually a clean up crew handles it," Naoki explained, standing up. "You guys did great, though." 

"So did you," Xandra nodded. 

"You weren't exaggerating when you said you were top of your class," Paris grinned. "I was a little scared of you in there, Mae." 

Naoki smiled back. "I never joke about being first place, Monet." 

Dexter laughed. "I'm glad we're done." 

"Me too," Xandra offered him her hand. He took it, and she pulled him up from the floor. "Let's get going. I wanna visit Theo." 

Paris straightened. "I forgot about that. And Illias. I hope they're okay." 

"Illias is fine, but Theo wasn't awake when I was there," Naoki stooped to pick up her sword from the floor. "But good idea, let's go back. I want some hot chocolate, too." 

"Ooh, hot chocolate," Dexter sighed. "Sounds heavenly." 

Paris looped his arm around Dexter's shoulders. "You know what else sounds heavenly?" 

"What?" 

"A nice fireplace. And presents. And a good movie." 

Dexter closed his eyes, visualising it. "Christmas time. The holidays. They do sound nice." 

"Almost better now that we've got something like this to counter it," Xandra gestured around at the burning cinder beams, crumbling walls and scratches on their bodies as they went down the stairs. "Makes the sweet taste sweeter." 

Dexter linked his arm with hers. "I'm excited for the holidays. No school!" 

"What? I thought you liked school," Paris' eyes widened. "Have I pinned you wrong? Are you a delinquent in disguise?" 

"Was that supposed to be a Transformers reference?" Xandra raised an eyebrow. 

Paris grinned, pushing open the door. "You got it. You're a nerd too, aren't you." 

"I am not!" 

"Are too!" 

"Not!" 

"Too!"