012. how i met your mother

DEXTER PULLED THE SHADES DOWN, backdropping a small sticky note on its glass with white. "Meeting in progress. Email if you need to contact me!" Paris had added a smiley face at the end, like an after thought. 

Illias spread his hands across the table. "So what's the plan?" 

Rosa folded her hands under her chin, glasses flashing in the fluorescent lights overhead. "Some of us need to go back to Mirage. Some of us need to stay behind."

Xandra raised her hand. "Not it." 

"Those of us in Mirage will save Mrs. Wine," Rosa continued. "Run the regular Keeper routine. Those of us who stay behind will guard our bodies and make sure Mrs. Wine doesn't escape." 

"Unfortunately, Xandra, I think you've gotta stay behind," Hanna smiled apologetically. "That concussion of yours might have eased up on pain, but I'd be a bad mom if I let you run around after being unconscious two minutes ago." 

Xandra scowled, but slumped back in her seat, conceding. Hanna gave her shoulder a little squeeze. 

"I think I'll stay here, too," Theo offered quietly. "I need a break from Mirage." 

"I'll go," Illias volunteered. "I can handle the Damia." 

"Dex and I will go," Paris chimed in. "Boys trip!" 

"I'm not going," Theo pointed out. 

Paris raised his eyebrows. "Yeah. Boys trip." 

Theo glared. 

"Good plan," Rosa cut over them. "I'll go with Illias, Dexter and Paris. I need to speak with General Rox. Hanna, my love, you want to stay?" 

Hanna nodded, winking at Theo and Xandra. "Oh, yes. We're going to have one hell of a good time here." 

"With the unconscious bodies!" Xandra cheered sarcastically. 

Rosa nodded. "All right, kids. Let's go." 

ILLIAS OPENED HIS EYES TO THE VERY SAME CLASSROOM, yet it was drafty and cold. A window had been propped open some months back, and someone forgot to close it. Desks were moved exactly how they had been in the real classroom, and Hanna's bat even lay next to a desk, discarded. 

"That's weird," Paris commented, picking up the bat and hefting it in his hand. He passed it to Dexter. "Don't go getting yourself killed." 

"I'll try," he rolled his eyes, smiling. 

Rosa was staring out the door, into the hallway. Lost in some memory, Illias assumed, from the way her eyes drifted in a haze, and her lips fell with regret. 

"You kids gonna be okay?" she murmured. 

Illias rested a hand on her shoulder. "We've done this a hundred times before." 

She nodded absently, already moving for the door. "Come back safe." 

"You too," Illias called, watching her leave. 

"Is she okay?" Dexter asked, coming to the door. They looked on as she pressed the elevator button, waiting with fidgeting legs. 

Illias shrugged. "I don't know. Hopefully she will be. But we have other things to worry about right now." 

They turned back inside, where Paris was making a fort out of the desks. 

"You guys ready?" Illias asked, opening the door to the fort. 

Paris clambered out. "Yep. Dex?" 

Dexter raised his bat. "Ready as I'll ever be. I found Mrs. Wine's address in the main office. Follow me."