All Plans Go Awry

"We're like 3 miles away!" Kalen Campbell scoffed, adjusting the eyepiece on his helmet to zoom in on their target.

"I can make it," Kazumi assured her sniping companion, pulling out her sidearm, what appeared to be a VP9 Match from Heckler & Koch. It was specifically made for her by Saturn Six and it interacted with her armor.

Pulling off a piece from her shoulder, the modular armor plating changed shape, attaching to the gun, lengthening the barrel, another piece added a scope. The process continued until Kazumi was holding what looked like an AWM sniper rifle.

"But I can't. If something goes wrong in there I won't be able to get a good shot off."

Kazumi reached for her chest, the armor opening a compartment for her to reach into, withdrawing a small rubber ball and a steel ball bearing.

"Isn't plasma just energy? Why can't you fire from an infinite range?" Kazumi asked, using her fingers to knead the two materials together, their consistency both turning into that of a soft putty. Eventually the blob was formed into a unique bullet in her hands.

"You know how much energy it takes to maintain plasma?! In an atmosphere?! I can barely shoot something a hundred meters away without draining all the heat and energy from my body. Shooting at 3 miles? I'd be dead before the plasma reached its target." The Scottish in Kalen's voice became more and more pronounced as he got more emotional about it.

"Hmph," Kazumi shook her head. "Not much of a ranged fighter then."

"No... but I told Oka- Wolf, I told Wolf..." Kalen quickly corrected himself doing his best to not break the first rule to follow when on a mission - only use codenames. "I think Wolf heard it differently than I said it. When I said, 'I'm not that great at long ranges,' I'm thinking he assumed that I just hadn't trained enough, and that some of your sniping ability would rub off."

Kazumi let a rare smile slip out, a colder one than even Endo could produce. "Well luckily for the mission, I don't need you."

Kalen crossed his arms, muttering under his breath as he triple-checked the stairwell. They were stationed three miles, obviously, away from the Yakuza owned building full of stolen tech. And, of course, like most of the buildings in the area, the one Kazumi and Kalen found themselves on was abandoned.

That didn't mean that Kalen wasn't creeped out though. He found the slightly flooded city eerie as the team passed through it. It wasn't completely empty, as many Public Heroes were going from sector to sector to search for anyone in need of help, which was why they needed to keep close watch of their surroundings, as a Public Hero could easily screw up their plan for the Yakuza raid by being less than subtle.

Their uniforms all came equipped with some sort of badge. One that would identify them as exactly who they said they were, "Enigma." It would mark them as government agents and essentially request that they be left alone. But Edgeshot told the team to only use those as a last resort. Stealth was the goal, after all, so they needed to hide themselves from friend and foe.

Kazumi reached up to her helmet/mask, a smooth navy blue face-plate reminiscent of Red-Hood, and called in her position. "Wolf, this is Authority, we're good to go."

"Copy that. We're just waiting on Beat."

"Why the hell was I made the tech guy?!" Danji cried, furiously setting up the team's personal network.

"Because Endo was the tech guy but he got the sniffles," Rhea complained.

"Roku, not Endo," Okami corrected.

"Dammit," Rhea cursed. "I hate codenames."

"Just send me and the heavy hitters in," Kaito demanded, standing alongside Will in his massive power armor in an abandoned building just on the other side of the Yakuza's base. "We can take 'em."