Ƒѻບr

Noah made it back safely to the roof of Trish's shop, where Skully sat, waiting for him. Noah was a bit embarrassed by what had happened with Princess and her friends, so he waited a while, gathering enough courage to tell Skully. When he did, he kept his hood up, shielding himself from Skully's gaze.

Skully scoffed at what Noah had said. He wasn't upset at Noah; instead, he was in disbelief. He and Noah both found it hard to believe that Princess and her friends knew nothing of the mayor. They suspected Noah, and for that, Noah felt tremendous guilt, but Skully didn't dwell on that. Noah was grateful for Skully. He understood all that Noah was going through, and Noah understood all that Skully was going through.

Trish came as night was falling and gave them sandwiches. She left them alone for the most part, and Noah respected her privacy. He wasn't hungry, though. Ever since he left his mother, butterflies had been swarming in his stomach. He was nervous, but excited. For the first time in his life, he was doing something that mattered.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" said Skully, his eyes glued to the building across the street. "I can watch."

"Won't the camera capture everything?" asked Noah.

Skully shrugged. "It's best to be careful."

Noah didn't want to leave Skully to stay up all night. Noah finally realized where the dark circles under Skully's eyes came from. "We can take shifts."

After a moment, Skully nodded. "Alright. I'll wake you up in a few hours."

[][][]

He was sinking in cold, murky water, unable to breathe and unable to move. Noah was numb all over, and his vision was blurry. Seaweed wrapped around his ankles and pulled his feet into the muddy bottom.

A hand was reaching for him. Noah felt the hand grasp onto him and pull him up with supernatural strength. Noah broke the surface of the water and gasped for air, and he saw before him a man with black hair and pale skin. The man wore some sort of mask over his face that helped him to breathe underwater. Noah was going to express his gratitude when the man was suddenly yanked into the black water. Noah began shouting. He dove back under the surface, but he could not see and could not swim against the current. The man with the mask was gone.

Noah gasped, sitting upright. He had awoken to rain drops falling on him under a light sky, and he quickly realized he was still on the roof of Trish's shop. He frowned and looked at Skully, who was asleep beside him. "Skully," Noah called, until he awoke.

Skully didn't look embarrassed as he sat up, stretching his arms. He glanced at the building across the street and sighed, then looked to Noah. "Sorry I didn't wake you. I never manage to stay awake, no matter how much energy I have."

"That's alright," said Noah. He was eager to look at the footage. "Should we see if the camera caught anything?"

Skully stood, and so did Noah. "Let's go downstairs to look at it."

They went downstairs and entered a small office space in the back of the store, where blinds covered windows overlooking the interior of the shop. Trish was hard at work, busy with a customer. Skully closed the blinds and pulled from his pocket two pads, both of which he placed on a small table. They both lit to life, showing clear footage of the building across the street.

"Why are they both showing the same thing?" Noah asked, confused.

Skully pointed to the hologram on the left. "This is showing everything the camera captured when we put it in place. The second hologram is showing current footage of the building across the street."