Ⲧሠ𝖾ƞ𝗍ү

They were sitting at the kitchen counter, Skully documenting their discussion on a piece of paper. It was early, birds chirping nearby. The animals would be awake by now. Noah would have to check on them later. He didn't want to wake Ashton and Cyrus, who were still asleep.

"Alright," said Skully, setting down his pen and running a hand down his face. "Let's go over this again."

Though their morning routine was not unlike torture for Noah, it had to be done. Noah hadn't blacked out since word spread about the missing girl. It had been two weeks, and she hadn't been found. They knew she had been taken, but the kidnapper was unknown. There was a new mayor, of course, but they didn't suspect him. The disappearance had happened before the new mayor took office.

"After the mayor's death, your first known blackout was that night in the sewers," said Skully.

Noah nodded.

"You had been told to go to the dealer," said Skully. "Your second blackout occurred with Bear's gang, where you knocked them all out."

Noah nodded sheepishly.

Skully exhaled. "Your latest blackout occurred two weeks ago, where you took my hologram and turned it to the news."

Noah nodded, his head low. He still felt bad about that last one.

Skully shook his head. "Still makes no sense to me. How could someone be commanding you to do this? You don't have any chips on you. They didn't put anything in your head... Not that we know of," he muttered.

"What if I don't have to hear them?" wondered Noah. "What if, no matter where you are, if you command me to do something, I'll do it?"

After a moment of thought, Skully shrugged. He opened the fridge and pulled out an apple. "I don't get it."

Noah took a deep breath. "What is their motive? I could've... They could've commanded me to do harm to you, or to myself, but they haven't."

"That's why we are going to the dealer today," said Skully, biting into the apple. "He'll know more... Assuming he's still alive."

Cyrus came out of the hall, rubbing at his eyes.

"Hey, Cy," said Skully. "How'd you sleep?"

Cyrus pulled out his message gram.

Ꮐ𝗈๐ᑯ.

Cyrus' message gram had become more customized to his own handwriting. Noah still hadn't figured out how that piece of paper worked, because Cyrus hadn't written anything down since they met him. On the plus side, Cyrus was no longer afraid of Skully. He was growing, too. He had grown an inch in the past two weeks.

"Why don't you go get dressed?" suggested Skully. "We'll be leaving soon."

Cyrus entered his room with a bit of excitement. They had been cooped up in the farmhouse for the past two weeks, hardly ever stepping outside. They hadn't received any visitors. Noah couldn't help but wonder why they hadn't been found. There was no doubt in his mind that whoever was commanding him against his will knew where he was. Perhaps the person was separate from the mayor. Perhaps they were commanding Noah out of an entirely different motive. But why take the girl?

Ashton greeted them with a nod. He didn't wipe sleep from his eyes, for he hadn't gotten much sleep. He was already dressed, his mask secure over his face, though his eyes were bloodshot and he was very pale.

Noah felt bad for Ashton. Ever since he started using the new canister given to him by Fellman, he had grown more sick. The toxin Ashton was currently breathing was strong, but he turned the canister so only a small amount was released at a time. Either way, Ashton wasn't receiving enough to breathe properly, and the strength of the toxin was making him sick. Noah could practically see the droplets of blood on the wooden table inside the glass room. He envisioned Ashton convulsing in his bed while doctors rushed to him. He could hear Ashton telling Noah how some toxins were too strong for him.