Chapter 16 | No Longer Six

Andrew.

I watch Rayne as doctors examine her.

Two of the guys were waiting for Jaylin in the waiting area.  And the rest were with me. "She is currently resting. If there is any question that you have, you can always ask me or the other nurses nearby." the doctors leaves.

I get off the wall as I walk towards the door. "You guys keep an eye on her until she wakes up." I walk out to the waiting room and met up with Axel and Leith as I tell them to buy me some cigarettes. I sit down and wait for her name to change from "In surgery" to "Out of Surgery".

But the weight on my eyelids slowly started to close on me.

[3 weeks later]

The time. The world. The feelings.

They all weren't the same.

Every day, I spend hours with her until I'm forced to leave by the guys to do our late work. If we finish a job late at night, I go straight to Jaylin and stay with her until the next morning, no matter how late or early it is.

I never leave her alone for more than a day.

It was 3 am, and I'd been awake for more than three days. Because of my mistake, this mission took us two and a half days to complete. As a result of that fuckup, I now have a cut across the side of my lower abdomen. I quickly patched it from Theo and headed to the hospital.

I could barely stand as I leaned against the elevator wall.

I walk down the hallway and I barely walk straight. I enter her room and pull back the curtains that were concealing her. I adjust her blankets and oxygen mask as I look down at her.

I give her daily head strokes, rubbing the back of my hand against her cheek to check if the warmth is still on her face.

I place myself beside her and monitor her breathing. Watching the fog that forms in her oxygen mask and her gasps for air.

Hayden loved her. Though he could never see her.

Flashback

"If she ever finds out that I'm dead. I'll..." he barely breathes, taking a big gulp of air. "I'll kill you in your fucking sleep."

I laugh cry. "I'll never see her." I wince at the pain as I talked.

"She's annoying, by the way." he turns to me.

"You first say, she's the most beautiful and purest girl, then now you say she's annoying." I look at him.

"Woman are confusing. Learn that first." He says, groaning. "They'll come around and be the most regrettable and best thing that comes into your life. Any person, will be." he adds. "She's my little sister that thinks for the past years I was just avoiding her." a tears slides down the side of his face.

"You just got to talk to them. All I had to do was talk to her and explain." he looks at me and more tears sheds. "But I didn't. And now look me. We're both beaten to death about to die. And I couldn't even talk her." he laughs painfully.

"When you meet her...talk to her...for me." he looks at me with such a hopeful look.

"You do it. You talk to her." I say struggling to breathe. "And I think it will be better if you did kill me in my sleep." I stare at him. "And you...you won't die. Seth's coming. The guys will come soon, just hold on." I breathe, looking up.