Thirty-Four

"Hey, Newt".
"Hey, Tommy".
"Surprised that you're willing to skip classes with me".
"Oh, Tommy. You know that I'll follow you anywhere".

They didn't speak another word until they were safely out of the hall. Then, Newt asked, "Is everything okay?".
"Yeah", Thomas replied, truthfully enough. He was feeling better now. He smiles at his friend.

"Tommy?".
"Hm?".

"I, um...I have muggle studies later". Thomas could hear the guilt in his friend's voice. He felt bad about it. "That's alright", he said. "I'll have to face her sooner or later".

"Tommy?".
"Newt".
"Ha. I understand why you're reluctant to talk to your mother. She expected you to drop everything and follow her  even though she was basically a stranger to you".

The boys were out in the Gardens, now. They walked slowly, hands in their pockets. Newt continued. "But I'd hate to see you loose out on a real relationship with the only family that you have. You mean too much to me". Thomas let out a small gust of air, grinning.

"I know, I know", he said. "I should be over- the- moon grateful right now".
"That's not what I'm saying".
"I know. But u should be, shouldn't I?".

His friend didn't reply. That was enough for Thomsd to know that he agreed. "How about this- the class is my last class on Wednesday. I'll stay behind, talk to her, bear her out. How's that?".

"I think that that's w good idea, Tommy".

Thomas grinned again at hearing the nickname. He looked up at the clouds. "You have a nickname for me. I need one for you", he said.

Newt laughed. "That's okay. I'll stick with my name".
"No, no. Come on. Let me think". Thomas paused. "There's not many variations of 'Newt', is there?".

They both stopped in front of some rocks, sitting down. "Ehat rhymes with 'Newt'?", Thoma went on. "Loot, boot, hoot, acute- astute, cute".
"Cute?".
"Yeah' Newtie Cutie".

Newt laughed again. "Is that the best you can come up with?".
"I think that it's pretty excellent".
"I can't believe that I'm skipping Snape's class to be here, right now", the blonde leaned back.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry for dragging you away from 'five points to Slytherin'! 'Ten points to Slytherin!'", Thomas mocked the old professor. Newt laughed again. "What are you talking about? Snape's probably one of the fairest teachers out there".

The two boys laughed and joked for about a good twenty minutes before Thomss spotted his house sauntering through the halls.
"Uh oh", he said, as Minho rushed towards him. "What the shuck were you thinking, you slinthead?", his friend hissed. "McGonegal's looking for you".

"And that's my cue to say goodbye", Newt got up. "I've got to get back to my friends".

As he left, Minho grabbed Thomas's arm. "You're a shuck- face", he said. "What were you two doing?".
"Talking. I didn't want to go back to class".

Thomas's friend rolled his eyes. "I could tell. Well, you're the one who's gonna end up in detention, not me".

The two Gryffindor boys bickered all the way to their next class.