Thirty- Five

But nothing sent chills up and down Thomas's spine like the haunted, deathly moans that somehow escaped the creature when it sat still, like the sound of dying men on a battlefield. Seeing it all now- the beast matched with the sounds- Thomas couldn't think of any nightmares that would equal to this hideous thing coming towards him. He fought the fear, forced his body to remain perfectly still, hanging there in the vines.

                           -The Maze Runner, Chapter Nineteen

Wednesday. Second last class. Thomss held his breath as Professor Lupin welcomed them to the class.
If I can fight off a Griever, Thomas thought, then I can face my mother.

"Who remembers in third year when we experience Boggarts?", Professor asked. Ron sucked in a breath through his teeth.
The shuck is a Boggart?
"Who wants to try again?".

The class erupted. A few kids yelled 'yes! Yes!', while others cried 'please, no!'. Ron was one of the latter. "I hate those things, even if we do Riddikulus them", he muttered to himself.

Minho looked at Thomas, an eyebrow raised. Thomas shrugged. He didn't really care about this, he cared about his final class.
Professor Lupin gestured to a large wardrobe at the middle of the classroom. Thomas hadn't even noticed it. "You know the drill, form a line", he said.

The children- Gryffindors and Slytherins- all fought to be at the back. Thomas pushed himself near the middle, cautious about what all of the fuss was about. Minho stood in front of him.

A Gryffindor boy with short blonde hair went first. Thomas didn't know what was going to happen.
Lupin grabbed the handle of the wardrobe, and then pulled it open. A giant dog came out of it, humongous, it's teeth baring. Thomas tumbled back into the Slytherin behind him, wondering why no one else was reacting.

The boy raised his wand at the creature, barely deterred. "Ridikulus!", he yelled out, and suddenly the animal gained a tiny head, it's four legs were now about seven centimetres long.

The whole class erupted into laughter as the boy smiled and walked towards the back of the line.

Next was a girl, her blonde hair tied into a tight ponytail. The dog immediately changed into a a humongous storm, lightning crashing onto the ground in front of the girl's feet.
The girl covered her ears, shutting her eyes.

"Don't get distracted!", Lupin called out. "You've got to defeat it. Riddikulus it!".

The girl sneakily held her wand to the grey storm clouds. "Ridikulus!", she yelled, and the storm shifted into a bright sun, birds tweeting in the distance.

The line continued on. Thomas could see that Minho was getting more and more nervous. And then finally it was his friend's turn.
Minho shakily walked up to the front of the class.
The boggart suddenly grows ten times in size, and Thomas immediately recognises the creature.

He falls to the ground, which only makes the creature even taller. The thing had several metal spikes, thousands of teeth. Goo dripped from it's body, onto the floor.

Minho managed to stay upright, but he was looking up at the Griever with fear. Professor Lupin amazingly stood upright, barely untethered. "Come on, Minho", he said. "It can't hurt you here".

Thomas doubted that. The other students in the class were clearly trying not to run away in horror, trying to remind themselves that it was a boggart.

Minho lifted his wand, nearly dropping it in the process. "Rid-", he took a deep breath. "Ridikulus!".

A bright light shot our from Minho's wand, and the Griever turned into a small, little bug. Minho walked over and stepped on it, swishing it.

And now...it was Thomas's turn. Minho walked past him, not looking down at him, but pulled him up. Thomas's breathing was shaky. He took a deep breath, and turned to face the boggart.

The whole class was silent as suddenly, the shape of a man formed. He had grey hair and a tall build, and his face sort of reminded Thomas of a rat.
Who is this person? This..ratman.

He obviously had to be a big fear. The man held a needle in his hand, staring straight at the boy. "It's your blood, Thomas...", the man said.

Thomas held up his wand and yelled, "Ridikulus!", without feeling so much as a tint of worry. The man turned invisible, only his clothes, a lab coat, showing. He turned around and walked to the back of the line, feeling confused.

The class watched him go, shocked.
"Dude, what was that?", Munho asked him, hissing. Thomas shrugged. "I don't even know who that is", he replied.

But he must have known, at one point. Right?

Oh this was written in such a hurry. I haven't checked for any spelling mistakes, but still, thank you to WendyAndKpop for the idea!