𝗢𝗡𝗘

CHIPPEWA, MICHIGAN. 🍂
_______________________________

kate trudged down the hallway, eyes wandering over the groups of kids that littered the school. she had her sights set on her best friend, she stood at the end of the hallway rummaging through her locker. lindsay weir. the two had become close freshman year and remained attached at the hip ever since.

   they had their fair share of differences, but they got along better than anyone. lindsay was great in her classes, kate didn't care about anything involving a book. but that didn't stop them from becoming socially involved, despite all the shit kate had gotten from her athletic friends about being friends with a dork.

   but lindsay wasn't a dork to kate, she was anything but. she was cool, funny, kind– she'd do anything for just about anyone, even people who didn't deserve it. the weir girl was easily kate's favorite person on earth, and she made getting through school so much easier for her.

   "hey guys" kate made herself known to lindsay and millie who had been talking. she wasn't close with millie, the only reason she was friendly with her was because of lindsay. millie was in an entirely different crowd that kate couldn't see herself fitting in with.

   "oh hey, katie!" lindsay smiled, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "ready for lunch?" kate asked the brunette. "yeah, let's go. millie, you coming?" lindsay turned toward the straight haired girl. "i've gotta go to the library quick, i'll meet you guys there" she waved them off, turning on her heel.

arriving at the crowded lunch room never failed to send an anxiety spike through kate. she hated large crowds, even worse when they involved high school kids. the two grabbed their lunch trays and found a table to sit at.

kate stabbed at her salad as her eyes glossed over sam and his friends. "didn't you say some asshole was picking on sam this morning?" kate questioned lindsay to which she nodded quickly. kate pointed her fork past lindsay's shoulder over at their table.

a rotten faced kid was hovered above sam's shoulder, it looked to be the two were exchanging foul words. "god, i can't stand kids!" lindsay huffed in annoyance, standing up. yet as she did, a teacher walked over to the table– most likely to take control of the situation.

lindsay sat back down with a sigh. "i just wish i could protect him without him thinking i'm babying him" the care lindsay had for her brother was something kate admired very much. growing up an only child, she wasn't used to sibling affection.

"he'll understand once he's a little older. you take good care of him, linds" the girl complimented her friend with soft eyes. lindsay sent a warm smile back, processing the advice kate had given her.

once the two finished eating, kate went up to throw away her food with lindsay. they chatted about their after school plans when a smiling daniel desario appeared in front of them. "hello ladies"

"oh hi daniel" lindsay smiled. kate knew the two of them had been talking more as of late. it was an odd pairing none the less, but kate would never object to lindsay making new friends. "hey, lindsay... who's this?" he asked curiously, eyes glazing over toward kate.

"my best friend, kate" lindsay smiled warmly, almost as if she was proud to be showing off the girl beside her. "nice to meet you, daniel" kate greeted him. "why don't you guys come out back" he nodded toward the cafeteria side door that led outside. "the smoking patio??? no way. i can't have that shit getting into my lungs" kate furrowed her eyebrows.

"come onnn, just for a minute!" he pleaded, tugging lindsay's sleeve to the point where she was basically forced to step outside. kate groaned, following close behind. she was immediately hit with the thick air of marijuana and cigarette smoke. "wow it smells just wonderful out here" kate muttered sarcastically. "see!" daniel smiled causing the girl to laugh softly.

he led them over to a small pack sitting on the bleachers. "you guys know lindsay, right?" daniel introduced the brunette first. "yeah, you were in my english class last year weren't you? you were that chick who got an a!" a brown haired boy holding drumsticks smiled softly.

kate analyzed him, recognizing him from her assisted math class. "yea well! what are you gonna do?" lindsay shrugged awkwardly, a smile present on her expression. "i don't know. what are you gonna do?" ken asked in a dead pan tone. there was a second of silence before daniel cleared the strange tension.

"and this! is lindsay's best friend, kate" he introduced her with articulated speech, specifically on the t in kate. the two boys found their attention fall toward the girl. nick sat himself up a bit straighter, opposed to his previous position of lying back.

"hi kate" ken greeted her plainly. nick was now at a loss for words. "so, you guys going to the homecoming dance?" lindsay asked the two curiously. by their reactions, it was pretty evident they had no intention on attending.

"i beg your pardon???" ken asked, earning a laugh from daniel and nick. "that was funny! it's a joke right?" daniel narrowed his expression toward lindsay. "well my dad's kind of making me go" the brunette admitted shyly. lindsay's father was a force to be reckoned with. it was either his way or the high way, and anyone who didn't know that was in for a rude awakening.

"dad's making you go to the dance? man, what's that all about" nick smiled, looking up at ken who sported an amused grin. "who's your dad? hitler?" he teased.

kate decided she didn't like the boy wearing the flannel shirt, the other one however struck her interest. "what about you? are you going to the dance?" ken asked kate in a mocking sort of way. the girl sent him an unamused look. "not a chance. dances aren't really my thing" she replied.

"then what is your thing?" nick broke his silence, wanting to know more about the girl. kate's attention became fixed onto him. "figure skating" the words fell out of her mouth easily. she waited for his expression to change, but was caught off guard when it didn't. he only looked to be more intrigued.

on the other hand, ken bursted out into a fit of laughter. "figure skating? talk about lame" "shut your mouth, you burn out! you clearly do nothing all day except sit on your ass and smoke pot" she snapped at the boy. nick now had the widest grin on his face.

"she does have a point" daniel sent him a sheepish smile. ken simply rolled his eyes, not coming up with anything to retaliate with before kate started to walk away.

"i'll see you later, lindsay" kate grumbled before heading off. the group watched until she disappeared into the school. nick felt the urge to jump up and run after her, but he knew that was a ridiculous idea.

_____________________________________