𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥

a familiar army jacket could be spotted from across the hall as lindsay approached kate at her locker. "hey" kate forced a smile, but her eyes remained half closed. the girl was anything but a morning person. "good morning, sunshine" lindsay patted her cheek.

suddenly nick appeared from behind kate. "hey nick!" lindsay greeted him, kate spun around quickly to be met with his puffy eyes. "hey" he mumbled, a soft look on his features. "what's wrong? you look like you've been crying or something" kate asked him, referring to the redness on his face.

"john bonham died" he stated. kate looked to lindsay for help. drummer. lindsay mouthed to the girl. kate's eyes widened, "aw, i'm sorry nick" she sent him a sympathetic expression. "i just can't believe it. he's dead. i mean– there's no more led zeppelin now" he sighed.

the band name alerted something in kate's brain. that was the band nick said he was planning on showing her. "how about we go to your house and listen to them after school? in his honor.." kate suggested with a grin. the idea made him smile for the first time since he heard the news of the beloved drummer. "sounds like a plan" he agreed, appreciating the girl's attempt to make him feel better.

"why don't they just get a new drummer?" lindsay suggested as the trio walked down the hallway. "what? are you– you know what.. just forget it" nick ran a hand through his hair as he shook his head in frustration. the idea was clearly impossible. lindsay and kate sent each other a look, following closely behind the boy.

he led them out to the smoking patio where the usual crew resided. ken, daniel and a new girl kate had never seen before. she had been rambling about something unimportant when the three of them made their presence known to the group.

"who's this?" kim's gaze fell upon kate. a collective sigh emitted from the three boys. "be cool, kim. this is katie. she's a friend of ours" nick introduced her. the phrase 'friend of ours' sent a euphoric feeling into kate's being. she was now one of them, she liked the feeling.

"great, now there's another one i'm gonna have to get used to? this week just keeps getting better and better!" she sighed in frustration.

kate simply rolled her eyes, not wanting to get involved with the whole thing. "does anyone wanna watch the wall with me saturday night? i was thinking of trying it straight once.. you know" nick shrugged bashfully. kate's gaze became fixed on him almost immediately.

"don't do it! you'll regret it, man. trust me" ken urged him. kate opened her mouth to agree to go with him, but lindsay ended up cutting her off. "i would but, my parents are going out of town and i have to watch my little brother"

a deranged look came across nick's face as he locked eyes with daniel. "maybe we can all hang out at your house!" daniel suggested, pointing toward lindsay. it was obvious as to what he was getting at. "keggerrrr" nick bounced on his tippy toes, suggesting the idea in a high pitched voice. a light laugh escaped from kate's lips.

"what like a party?" lindsay asked sternly, as if the idea was completely ridiculous. "yeah right. lindsay's too lame" kim scoffed. this earned the blonde a dirty look from kate. "you know what, okay! yeah! i like parties" lindsay smiled. it was evident to kate that her best friend was neglecting her own morals, but if it made her happy to fit in– kate supported her.

"alright everyone, ten bucks each for the keg" daniel snapped his fingers, digging into his own pocket to grab his share. "i'll get it for you, katie" nick smiled bashfully, the action sent her heart into a flurry.

friday afternoon

kate sat in her latin class, struggling to keep her eyes open when a girl entered the room with a bright yellow pass. "emergency phone call for kate montana" she informed the teacher quietly. "kate, phone call" he took the pass between his fingers, waving it around for the whole class to see.

she sighed in relief, gathering her belongings and swiftly exiting the room. just like nick told her, he had been waiting outside in the hallway. "boo!" he grabbed her waist, causing a yelp to escape from her lips. "shh!" he tried to suppress his laughter by holding his mouth.

"don't scare me and expect me not to scream, dummy!" the girl teased him, running a hand through her hair as they made their way down the hall. he stole glances at her as they walked, quietly admiring her beauty. whenever they were together, he was still unable to comprehend the fact that a girl like her would even look at him twice. of course, he wasn't complaining.

later in the night, kate took a ride with the boys to the party. the four of them showed up on lindsay's doorstep a quarter to nine– they were the only ones there. kate entered the home beside nick and daniel, strolling into the house like it was nothing new.

the boys shuffled in awkwardly, looking around at all the strange decorations lindsay had put up. "so? what do you think?" lindsay asked them with a smile. "what do you think we are? hippies?" ken asked in that infamous monotone voice of his.

"shut up man, i think it looks great" daniel looked around with wide eyes, already beginning to envision what the house would look like packed with people. kate drifted over toward the keg with nick and ken, but she promised herself she wouldn't have anything to drink. if her parents found out anything of the sort went into her body, she'd probably never be able to leave the house again.

hush by deep purple softly played throughout the house as groups of people began to litter the different rooms. kate had been talking to a new boy she met when her eyes set on millie.

she nearly spit out her drink, beginning to laugh at the sight. "what's your deal?" the boy in front of her asked in an annoyed tone. "sorry, sorry. this conversation has been thrilling, really. but uh– i'll see you around" kate sent him a forced smile before moving across the room. "millie! hey funny seeing you here!" kate laughed. a party like this was the last place the girl expected to see someone like millie.

"i guess so" she shrugged, peering into kate's cup. "what is that?" millie asked her. "not beer. if i did any drinking tonight i'm sure my parents would execute me" kate sighed, taking another sip of her pink lemonade.

"awesome! we'll both stay sober tonight, katie" millie smiled. "you're staying?" lindsay questioned her in shock. "yes i am. and katie and i will have more fun than any of you! while sober" she nodded.

later in the night

   "i heard you're staying sober tonight" nick stated as his head leaned on kate's shoulder. "yeah, it's kinda stupid right?" she laughed. "no! no, not at all, katie. anything you do is cool, you know" he slurred his words a bit, but he still meant every word of what he said.

suddenly kate's eyes fell upon millie as she began to play the piano in the main living room. oh my god. kate thought to herself, does this girl have no shame?

"jesus is just alright with me! jesus is just alright, oh yeah! jesus is just alright with me!" she began to sing, gaining the attention of everyone in the room. nick sprung up from his spot on the couch, moving over to stand next to the girl. the act confused kate, but she watched on in curiosity.

"i don't care what they may say! i don't care what they may do!" he began to sing with her. the sight caused a wide smile to grace kate's features as she watched him. she found it undeniably cute, even if he was intoxicated.

as the time neared eleven, kate knew she had to be getting home. she tried to find lindsay but it was no use, the house was packed with people and it seemed as if it was impossible to find anyone the girl recognized.

as kate made her way outside, she found millie sitting on the steps alone. "hey millie" she sat beside the girl with a sigh. "hey katie"

   "did you have fun?" kate asked the girl, not really expecting any sort of answer. she shrugged, "singing that song with nick andopolis was pretty fun" she smiled to herself. "that was most definitely the highlight of my evening" kate laughed, reminiscing on the moment.

   "how are you getting home?" kate asked her curiously. "i'm walking... wanna walk home together?" she asked. kate knew it would be awkward, after all– the two of them had never been alone together. but for some reason she couldn't find it within herself to say no. "okay" kate stood up, glancing back toward the house. all she hoped was that lindsay was alright.

_____________________________________