𝗦𝗜𝗫

fall leaves graced the ground as kate and lindsay made their way up to the school's front entrance. kate hummed the ocean by led zeppelin as they made their way out to the smoking patio. "you listen to zeppelin now, katie?" lindsay asked the girl, amusement in her tone.

   "nick and i listened to houses of the holy last week, it was like the greatest thing i ever heard" kate told her excitedly. she felt like a new person after being exposed to all the incredible rock music she had been missing out on. "better than billy joel?" lindsay asked with a smirk. she knew how much kate loved the man. "hmmm, i wouldn't push it" she replied, the two girls laughed as they stepped outside.

   "look guys, the narc's here" kim raised her eyebrows, daniel's arms draped around her. "yeah. watch out or i'll bust you" lindsay joked, only earning strange looks from the group. "hey man, i'm not joking. i heard about what you did to brian stoker. saw him smoking a j outside the quick fill and went inside and told some cops?" she pressed lindsay, a look of disgust on her face.

   "what are you talking about?" lindsay broke her silence. "i didn't do that!" she now sported concern on her expression. laughs erupted from the blonde. "i was just messing with you!"

   lindsay and kate rolled their eyes at the girl before nick made himself known to the two. "hey, uh– katie, what are you doing for halloween?" he waited for her response nervously, lindsay seemed interested in the interaction. "absolutely nothing" kate responded with dull eyes.

   "well kim, nick and i are going out. borrowing my uncle's big ass caddy– we were wondering if you wanted to come with us" his eyes were directed at kate. the girl's face lit up. "absolutely! like.. a double date?" her eyes flashed up toward nick's smiling face.

   "if that's what you need to call it in your diary, princess!" kim blinked her eyes at the girl, kate simply rolled her eyes and set her eyes back on nick. "you can come too lindsay. if you don't mind being a fourth wheel" daniel shrugged. it sounded a bit hurtful, but he didn't mean it that way.

   "i have to hand out halloween candy with my mom... as lame as that sounds" the brunette shrugged, embarrassment flooding over her. "your mom is so cute around the holidays. she gets all excited like a kid" kate smiled, she was extremely fond of mrs. weir.

   the bell rang signaling the end of lunch, "let's go, don't wanna be late for class" daniel snorted earning a loud laugh from kim. the group dispersed quickly until it was just lindsay and kate standing alone. "i don't wanna ditch you for halloween, linds" kate spoke sheepishly. "don't worry about it, katie. it'll make my mom happy so. i guess it'll be worth it" she shrugged, throwing an arm around kate as they headed inside for class.

   "the only reason i'm going is for nick anyway.. i think i sort of like him" katie announced to the girl as they walked down the hall. a small gasp left lindsay's lips. "you're kidding! i think you two would be so cute together" she smiled.

   "you think so?" kate smiled, the subject at hand had her getting all worked up inside. "oh definitely. i mean, you guys are total opposites. but they say opposites attract!" she explained to kate. "i mean.. we're not totally different. we're both very passionate people.. i feel like our personalities mesh well together, i dunno" she shrugged, shoving her hand into her back pocket.

   "well tell me what happens with nick! i'll be dying to know" lindsay smiled before the two separated for first period.

halloween

   kate walked home from school with a pep in her step. she tried on about three different outfits once arriving home, eventually settling on a light pink sweater tucked into some light blue jeans.

   "thank you for letting me go out, mom

   "thank you for letting me go out, mom. i won't be home late" kate sent a small smile to the woman as she baked in the kitchen. "you're welcome, kate. and no boys! i told you i'm setting you up with my friend's son, jason. fantastic skater" the woman smiled to herself. kate nodded, turning on her heel. she couldn't leave the house fast enough.

   suddenly an old beat up cadillac pulled in front of the girl's house. if her parents saw the crowd she was leaving with, she just knew she'd be in a world of trouble. she slipped into the backseat next to nick, to her surprise ken sat on the other end.

   "his plans fell through... i'm sorry" nick pointed a thumb toward the boy. "no worries" kate sent him a smile, turning her attention toward kim who had been hanging out her window. nick raked a couple fingers through the girl's hair to gain her focus. "hey, you look beautiful" he smiled.

   kate could've sworn she felt her heart explode at his words. "thank you" she managed, her cheeks felt like they were on fire. "you two are adorable!" ken blurted our sarcastically. "gee thanks! it feels real nice not having to be a fourth wheel" kate retaliated earning a car full of laughter.

   gonna raise hell by cheap truck blared loudly from the car radio as the five of them drove around neighborhoods, kicking in jack o' lanterns and smashing mailboxes. kate was never the 'rebellious' type, but it definitely surprised her how much fun she was having with the group.

   "hey i say it's time to get down to some serious damage! kenneth–" daniel orchestrated from the driver seat, reaching his hand back to smack the boy's knee. "breakfast anyone?" he smirked, holding an open tray of eggs.

   "dig in children!" daniel smiled as they all started to grab from the carton. "here we go, jackpot!" kim motioned for kate to follow her lead, the two hung out of the car as they approached a pack full of trick or treaters.

   nick held kate in by the belt loop, making sure she didn't fall out of the car. laughter filled the group of teenagers as they threw the eggs all over the younger kids, speeding off once the damage was done. "that was awesome!" nick laughed, watching kate in awe as she slipped back in beside him. "you think so?" she asked the boy with a smirk. their faces were incredibly close together.

   nick nodded, swallowing hard as nerves began to wash over him. something about the girl intimidated him, he wasn't sure what it was. his growing crush had only been getting worse each day, it got to the point that whenever the boys hung out– nick had to stop himself from mentioning the girl. she was all he wanted to talk about.

______________________________