𝗧𝗘𝗡

kate walked down the hallway, kim on her arm as the two discussed what happened over the weekend between her and nick.

"and then he walked me out to the parking lot, but he didn't say anything to my parents. they were in a bad mood and i didn't want them to meet him then" kate explained, eyes setting on lindsay as they walked toward her locker. "i cant believe this! this is totally cool" kim laughed, genuinely happy seeing her two friends starting to kindle a romance.

"what are you two so happy about?" lindsay questioned as kim and kate appeared in front of her, smiling. the blonde immediately turned toward kate, waiting for her to break the news to lindsay. "well. nick came to my competition over the weekend and,,, we kissed!" she decided to come right out with it, squeals emitted from kim.

a wide smile appeared on lindsay's face. "are you serious? that's amazing, katie!" she closed her locker, giving her full attention to the girl. "thanks" kate bashfully shrugged, the trio walked down the hall as lindsay urged to tell her more.

meanwhile

"it was like.. a million fireworks went off in my mouth" nick boasted to daniel and ken as they listened in on the smoking patio. "that doesn't sound good at all..." ken furrowed his eyebrows. "trust me man, it was intense" nick smiled, reminiscing on the moment.

"so are you two like.. a thing now?" daniel questioned, a joint sitting between his fingers. "i don't know.. we didn't talk about it yet" nick shrugged, beginning to ponder the question himself. "i'll talk to her about it at lunch, should i take her out to denny's or something?" nick asked.

"oh yeah! cause nothing screams romance like denny's" ken scoffed sarcastically. nick rolled his eyes, wishing that his friends could be more helpful. "nah man, just go sit in your car or whatever. if she really likes you she won't care" daniel shrugged, pulling his wool hat farther down on his head.

later in the afternoon, nick did just that. as the two sat in his green 1980 ford maverick, love reign o'er me by the who softly emitted from his car radio. the fall air drifted throughout the car as the windows remained down, passerby's could hear the music from a few feet away.

"katie.. i want you to know that– i just can't stop thinking about that kiss" he laughed nervously, running a hand through his hair. she played with her fingers as she sat quietly in the passenger seat, trying not to make it obvious how smitten she was with the boy.

"me too... it really meant a lot to me" she smiled to herself before continuing, "that and everything you said" the gratitude she felt for him was beyond the stars. he didn't realize just how much support he had given to her by going to watch her skate.

"you're like... the most amazing girl i've ever met" he turned his head to face her now. a light laugh left her lips before he added onto his previous statement. "i was wondering if... you'd go out with me?" he asked, slight hesitancy in his question. he had been thinking of the right way to ask it for the past two days– based on past relationships he never really felt confident around girls anymore.

"of course!" she blurted out, not being able to contain her happiness. nick laughed in disbelief before clearing his throat. "yeah?"

"absolutely" she had been smiling ear to ear. it was all she had wanted to hear from the boy since the moment she laid eyes on him. she could still recall the way he looked sitting on the smoking patio that day, drumsticks in his hands as he banged on his knees.

they sat in his car for the remainder of sixth period, the radio serenaded their ever changing conversations.

   it was safe to say that kate had an extra pep in her step as she walked the halls of mckinley high school. she was going out with nick andopolis, and that was all she needed to feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

   "you know your parents are gonna freak right? i mean, don't they want you to go out with that figure skating guy?" kim questioned, popping her gum loudly as her, kate and lindsay hung around on the bleachers after school.

   "yeah. he's a total dork!" kate rolled her eyes, images of the feather haired boy filled her mind. "i won't tell them.. for now... they'll definitely forbid me from seeing him and i wanna enjoy myself at least a little bit!" kate protested, crossing her arms.

   "new subject. your parents bum me out" the blonde urged. "imagine how i feel having to live with them" kate rolled her eyes, her mood suddenly lifting once she saw daniel walking toward the three.

   "what's happenin' ladies" he spoke in a cool tone, sitting beside kim to envelop her in an embrace. "hi babe" she said, admiring him with a grin. "katie's off the market, that's what's happening" lindsay smirked causing a soft gasp to leave kate's lips. "hey!" she lightly smacked her arm.

   "i already know, katie. guys talk too, y'know" he widened his eyes, playfully shoving her. kate simply rolled her eyes at him. she suddenly became curious as to what nick had said about her. before she could ask, daniel cut her off. "i think it's really cool. you guys are both great... and i'm happy for you"

   the compliment went the extra mile considering daniel wasn't too fond of many people. kate truly was so appreciative of them for being accepting of her and lindsay into their established group. "speaking of, where is nick?" kim thought aloud. "detention. got busted cheating on a test" daniel answered her.

one thing that was maybe worth mentioning was the fact that kate had never dated anyone before. she didn't see it as too big a deal, but this left her questioning herself how to act in a relationship. she knew she'd be able to turn to her friends for help, but the thought was still bold and intimidating.

______________________________