𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘

kate nervously glided around center ice with anne, her trainer. the young girl's eyes flashed toward the stands every once in awhile where her parents sat alone. every practice kate had, one parent had to be present. but once a month, both would come and analyze a session. to say it gave kate anxiety would be an understatement.

"i know you hate when they're both here. but just remember to breathe– focus on your routine, and if you need someone to look to for moral support i'm here" anne did her best to calm the girl, if anyone knew how to handle kate's anxiety best– it would be the blonde.

kate squeezed her eyes shut for a moment as she heard her trainer skate away toward the bench. she tried to calm her racing heart but nothing seemed to work. suddenly the start of her piece began, vienna by billy joel started to play over the loud speakers.

as she started her routine, it was easy for her to become lost in the act of skating. even with her parents up in the rafters, watching her every move and deciding what to yell at her for later– being on the ice was truly the only outlet she had to feel free.

one two three. one two three. she internally counted herself off as she landed multiple revolution jumps and an array of axels. anne watched from the bench with a small smile, the talent she recognized in the girl was something special.

the cold air hitting her face as she flew around the ice was something kate enjoyed. she loved the little details about skating. the sound of the blade gliding against the ice or the feeling after landing a big jump. at times when her parents made it seem like a chore, she had to step back and realize the reasons she loved doing it in the first place.

kate's parents were figure skaters back before she was born. they had gone to the olympics multiple years as a duo in their prime, and they decided to settle for nothing less for their only child.

as the song had been coming to a close, it was time for kate to attempt the triple lutz jump that her and anne had practiced together. it had been giving kate trouble, she had only landed it perfectly twice.

   ❝when will you realize–
vienna waits for you

   kate glided around the corner of the rink before heading toward the middle. she inhaled sharply before lifting herself up in the air, spinning only twice before crashing down on the ice with a fall. her body slid a few feet before she could see anne approaching her.

   a loud groan fell from the girl's lips as she stared up at the ceiling, faint yelling could be heard from her parents on the other side of the glass.

on the car ride home

   kate had learned how to tune out her parents when they would scream at her, but it was practically impossible to do so in the car. "you don't try hard enough! it's absolutely pathetic!" her father slammed his hands against the steering wheel. the action scared kate slightly, she wondered if one day he'd accidentally move the wheel and the car would jolt off the road.

   "kate. i don't understand how you expect to amount to anything when all you do is mess up" her mother clicked her tongue. kate couldn't take it anymore, "you know that's not true!" the young girl exclaimed.

   "who do you think you're yelling at?!" her father's voice boomed throughout the car. "i do work hard! i do wanna be great! but all i did was miss one lousy jump! everything else was perfect!" kate yelled, tears beginning to fill her eyes.

   "perfect?! perfect?!" her mother screamed. "you'll never be good enough for the olympics. you'll never make it as a professional. at your age i had famous trainers knocking on my fucking front door!" the woman slammed her hand against the dashboard of the car.

   tears began to slide down kate's cheeks as she pinched her wrist, wishing she could just disappear into thin air. when she got home that night she took herself upstairs, being extra careful not to slam her door.

   as she tossed and turned within the comfort of her sheets, she imagined what it would be like to have been born into a different family. like lindsay's. the weir girl had two parents who cared a bit too much. but they cared. and sure kate's parents cared, but not for her. for her career.

   no drinking, keep your body healthy for skating. no smoking, keep your body healthy for skating. don't even think about a social life, you have to stay focused on skating.

   it was a wonder she still loved the sport. she knew she should've despised it after everything her parents put her through, but she truly couldn't hate figure skating if she tried. while it was parents who forced her into it, it was the greatest thing that had ever happened to her. she'd be lost without it, just like she expressed to nick.

suddenly the brown haired boy entered her thoughts. his smiling face right there in the front of her mind. thinking of him helped calm her down before she needed to sleep. the thought of seeing him the next day at school made her feel better about the terrible day she had.

____________________________________