Who's That?

Arven's PoV

After we'd finally gathered all of the Herba Mystica, I wasted no time bringing my old buddy back up to health. He looked good as new! Now, the guy's got as much pep in his step as he once had - and it was all thanks to Alice.

My little buddy and I had been working on finding and using each of the five herbs almost since she'd set foot in Paldea. She was quick to help me, but less quick to trust me. That kind of defines her personality. She's a student, like me, but unlike me, she's from the Hoenn region, one of the less-known and quieter corners of the world. It makes sense for her personality. I've never gotten around to asking her why exactly she decided to travel to Paldea, but I think the decision had something to do with her education. She's very studious. Some of us students haven't even set foot in the academy since we were released for our hunts, but Alice? She's gone back there several times. She's even taken a few exams, I've heard. Very on top of things.

Of course, I'm not the only one she's been helping out. She got pressured into taking on all of this region's gym leaders by that battle-crazy girl Nemona. She's also gotten roped up in taking down Team Star by someone who hacked her Rotom Phone. I feel bad for her. She can't exactly say no when someone wants something. Especially not if they're asking for help.

Which brings me to where I stand now, eye to eye with her across the grassy surface of the ground outside my father's lab. She calls her last Pokémon into its ball and averts her eyes, trying to hide the defeated look in them. I feel my eyebrows lower, and try to force the sympathy I feel to retreat. I tilt my chin upwards as I call back my own Pokémon and prepare to face her after our battle.

Alice's PoV

I return my Pokémon to its ball as it faints, forgetting which one it is as embarrassment and shame flood my senses. I can almost feel his pity wafting over me, it's so degrading. I lick my lower lip and stuff the ball in my pocket, allowing myself a moment to think of what way I can make the next few minutes miserable for my friend.

Our gazes meet as I finally lift my eyes. "Arven." His name startles him, I can tell. I quickly mask my satisfaction. "How?"

"..How...what?" His stupidity is almost worse than his pity. I squint my eyes in annoyance.

"How the hell are your Pokémon stronger than mine? What have you been doing when we aren't fighting huge ass Pokémon?" He frowns at me. I know I've screwed up.

"Training to fight huge ass Pokémon. I'm not just screwing around, you know! And I've definitely not been wasting my time running stupid errands like my dad wants us to do now! I can fight, okay? 'How?' How is that so surprising to you?" I blink at him and look away, off to the lighthouse in the distance. I take a deep breath before looking back at Arven.

"Arven..I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated. I feel like I've been everywhere, doing everything I can. I guess I just expected to be better than you after everything. I dunno."

"I know. How could you not? I thought you would be too, to be honest. Yikes." He runs a hand through his hair, shaking his head. I shrug, looking up at him as he walks closer to me.

"Hm. Well, I guess I'm not fit to go with you."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Area Zero. You wanted a battle to test me, right? Well I've failed that test." I smile at him, a bit sadly. "Well, good luck. I'll help you get ready."

"WHAT? I'm not going alone, you're crazy! I'm not even the one my lousy dad asked to go into the pit in the first place, you are! If you can't go, I'm not going either!" He folds his arms to make the point. I can't help but laugh at the way he looks like a pouting child. "What??"

"Hehe, you look stupid," I say, poking him hard in the shoulder.

"Hey-! What?" His eyes widen when I touch him. His face seems to turn slightly pink. "N-no I don't, you do.." He huffs and flips his hair. "Anyway, you're the one that lost to me somehow. We're going to have to get you trained up." Realizing he's right, the smile slides off of my face, crashing to the ground. Arven notices. "Hey, it'll be okay little buddy! We'll get you all big and buff and ready for anything."

"No, probably not. Well, maybe. If you make me more sandwiches..."

"Hah, and to think you'd let me go into the pit alone. In reality you would never. You'd miss my cooking too much."

"Mhm," I hum, glancing sideways at him. He shifts a bit on his feet.

"Well, um, are there any gym leaders you haven't beaten yet? Or any Team Star guys?"

"Yeah, a couple I guess," I admit reluctantly. I hate him knowing he's stronger than me, and my failure to win every battle only reinforces that fact. He's got to know this, because I catch the shadow of a smirk flicking across his face.

"Alright. Well let's go take them down. We should heal up your Pokémon first, though." He takes in my scowling face. "..And your ego, too."

"I'm going to hit you."

"What time is it, like lunchtime? I'll make you and your fellas some food."

"Thanks," I mutter, and prepare to help him set up the picnic.