Chapter Eight

Emma~

The bar was crowded and Charlie wasted no time ordering a round of shots, gaining the attention of the male bartender almost instantly.

"One round and we're gone." Grayson announced as the bartender delivered four very tall shots.

"Such a party pooper. No wonder you and Emma get along so well." Charlie teased.

Narrowing her eyes at her sister, Emma snatched one of the glasses off of the tray and tossed it back before anyone could react or protest. She then grabbed hold of a second shot, raised it toward her sister in a cheers motion before she swallowed the contents, wincing slightly at the burn before loudly smacking the empty glass back down.

"I took yours." Emma said to Grayson as warmth spread across her body from the copious amount of alcohol she'd just consumed. "And I'm not a party pooper." She sneered at Charlie who cheered and clapped at Emma's sudden outburst.

Gunner and Charlie clinked their glasses together before taking their shots like champs, as if it wasn't their first time drinking together.

What is going on with them? They act like they've been dating for years. Maybe they've got something to hide too.

"Alright so we've all taken shots...some of us more than others, now let's roll out." Grayson stated again, looking over his shoulder at the front doors.

With a little liquid courage, and the knowledge that Charlie seemed to be keeping a secret similar to hers, Emma snaked her arms around Grayson's middle. The action caused a little bit of tension to be released from his rigid posture and his attention diverted directly down toward her.

"What are you so worried about?" Emma asked with a smile on her face.

"Your brother was expecting us at Knight fifteen minutes ago."

"So we'll be a little late. What's he going to do? Track our phones and follow us here?" She scoffed.

Grayson's smile dropped and he maintained his nervous energy.

"Yes. Yes, that's exactly what he might do."

"So paranoid." Emma sassed as she lightly draped her arms across the back of Grayson's neck.

Every cell in Grayson's body wanted to leave. He wanted to deliver the Bailey sisters to Kincaid without suspicion or question of his motives, Emma could see it in his eyes. But there was a moment, a single moment when she watched him give in to her pull and abandon his plans. He smiled down at her, letting his body relax in her arms as he shook his head in defeat.

"You win." Grayson muttered in a deep voice that made Emma's insides do flips.

Checking his watch quickly, Grayson wrapped his arms around Emma's waist, matching her affectionate energy as he pulled her closer.

"By my count, we got about twenty minutes before your brother comes busting mad as hell."

Emma rolled her eyes at Grayson's words.

"Why don't you let me spin you around that dance floor a few times before then."

Placing her hand on Grayson's chest, Emma put some space between them so she could see his face in the light.

"Grayson Miller, I didn't know you could dance."

"Yeah well you'd learn a lot of things about me if you'd let me take you out in public more often."

Emma dropped her smile and gave Grayson a look that he knew all too well at this point.

"I know, I know. And I respect your no boyfriend rule." Grayson added quickly, taking Emma by the hand and leading her toward the dance floor. He turned her in his arms until her back was to him and her arms were crossed in front of her.