Chapter Forty One

-Trigger warning- if childbirth is something you'd rather not read about, go ahead and skip this chapter. It is happy and there is no loss ❤️

Grayson~

All of the men sitting on the back patio sprang into action with Declan leading the way.

"What's wrong?" Declan asked, his voice filled with sheer panic at the sight of Lexi frozen in place in the kitchen.

Liquid gathered at her feet and she looked up at her husband with a mixture of worry and excitement.

"I think my water just broke."

"I'd say so." Caleb said loudly, practically cheering.

Declan rushed to her side, his eyes wide and his breathing heavy.

"It's too early." Declan muttered, looking to Caleb for reassurance.

"38 weeks is early, but baby Packard's lungs are fully developed. We're having a baby today people!" Caleb explained. 

"How can we help?" Marcus asked, with Grayson nodding and stepping forward.

"Towels would definitely help." Lexi chuckled.

Grayson darted around the corner and down the hall toward the guest bathroom, gathering every towel from the cabinets in his arms.

"That should be enough." Lexi said with a laugh as Declan placed two towels at her feet.

"Mac go start the truck." Declan said, taking the keys off the counter and tossing them toward Marcus. "I've timed this drive to the second. I can make it in 47 minutes flat." Declan announced.

Before Marcus could move, Lexi held her hands up, stalling his steps.

"Hang on just a second. We have plenty of time. I need to go change my clothes, pack my bag and grab a few things."

With his hand steadied on her belly, Declan rose to his feet beside her as if she was so fragile she might break.

"We gotta go to the hospital Lex."

"I've read all the books. This is my first baby and everybody needs to calm down. We probably won't be having this baby until tomorrow morning okay, so everybody just chill."

Lexi sent threatening looks around the room to each man who stood at the ready to do anything she asked.

"We're chill, Lex." Grayson affirmed as Marcus nodded and Caleb smiled.

"Good, great. Now let me get out of these wet clothes and I'll be ready to go in a few minutes."

Lexi was cool, calm and collected as Declan helped her out of her wet socks and followed her into their bedroom. She only made it a few steps before she froze and clutched the back of the couch, wincing in pain. Declan was there immediately rubbing his hand up and down her back as she experienced her first contraction that lasted less than a minute.

"That felt different than I expected." Lexi said as she let out a breath.

"What'd it feel like?" Caleb asked out of pure curiosity.

"It felt like someone pinched and twisted my insides."

"Interesting." Caleb said with excitement, matching Lexi's energy.

How are they both so calm? Declan looks like he's about to shit a brick and Marcus can't stop pacing.

"Weird." Lexi said with a smile before disappearing into the master bedroom with her husband.