Chapter Twenty Eight

Grayson~

The buzzing of a phone against the nightstand roused Grayson, but Emma was sleeping so soundly she hadn't noticed.

Reaching for his phone first, Grayson realized it was Emma's phone that was ringing.

"Em." He whispered through the darkness.

She let out a small sleepy hum, but never opened her eyes as she rolled to her other side.

Grayson smiled and wrapped his strong arms around her middle, pulling her across the bed until she was flush with his chest.

"Emma." He said softly in her ear.

The only reaction Emma had was a small smile in the corner of her mouth.

"Your phone's ringing Em."

"What time is it?" Emma groaned without opening her eyes or moving.

Glancing at his watch, Grayson confirmed the time for his sleepy Emma.

"6:30pm"

Holy shit we've been sleeping for nine hours.

"If that's my brother, I'm gonna kill him." Emma muttered into her pillow.

Reaching across, Grayson grabbed Emma's phone, reading the name as he handed it to her.

"It's not Kincaid. It's somebody named Patterson." Grayson added, letting Emma's hand wrap around the phone.

"Patterson?" There was confusion in Emma's voice as she lifted her head from the pillow. "Wait, Jaime Patterson. Shit he's called me four times."

Sitting up abruptly, Emma brushed her wild curls away from her face as she redialed the number. Her sudden intensity and concern caught Grayson's attention and he sat up beside her, matching her worried energy.

Who the hell is Jaime and why is she so rattled?

"Jaime? Sorry I just got back from an overseas outreach and I'm sleeping off some jet lag."

Grayson couldn't hear what the man on the other end of the phone was saying, but it was definitely a deep masculine voice. Tamping down his own misplaced jealousy, Grayson focused on supporting Emma through a phone call that was clearly causing her stress.

"Mmmhmm. What else did you try? Mmhmm, okay.... And after that?...right, okay."

It became obvious that she was discussing medical intervention and Grayson scolded himself for his fleeting moment of jealousy.

"I can meet you there in about thirty minutes. Will that work? Great okay. See you then."

Emma ended the call and let out a gust of air as she raked her palm down her face.

"Everything okay?" Grayson asked cautiously, running his hand up and down Emma's back.

"Yeah. But I need a ride to my office. I've got a client who's in distress."

"Sure thing, but my car is still up at Knight."

"Shit I forgot Marcus drove us here."

"We can take the bike."

Emma nodded and quickly dressed herself, gathering her hair and clipping it up out of her face.

I love it when she wears her hair like that.

"You ready?" She asked, pulling Grayson from his trance.

"Hm? Oh yeah. Lemme just throw some shoes and a shirt on."