Chapter Thirty Seven

Emma ~

I shouldn't be going.

The thought rang loud and clear through Emma's mind as she gripped the railing of the plane's steps.

It didn't make any sense. Last time she'd left it had been difficult, but not like this. This feeling was...different. It wasn't sadness or longing. It wasn't lovesick or heart ache for Grayson. It was...dread. Like and looming darkness that lurked just out of sight waiting to jump out and grab her.

What if they were right? What if something happens to me?

Emma froze with her hand on the rail as her mind started to race. She had always considered these trips a risk, this trip especially, but it had finally sunken in fully. The gravity of the risk finally hit her with full force.

I have to tell him I love him one more time. That I'll always love him even if the unthinkable happens.

Before she could talk herself out of it, Emma was already moving toward Grayson who looked as confused and torn as she felt. His confusion was evident, but he accepted her embrace, wrapping her up tightly in his strong arms.

"I had to tell you..." she said as she clutched him tightly.

"What?" Grayson asked, cupping her face and tilting it up toward him. His hands felt so good against her skin.

"I'll always love you Gray. Always and forever."

"Hey now. That sounds an awful lot like a goodbye. We don't do goodbyes around here." It was obvious that Grayson was forcing a smile, but then again, so was Emma.

"I'm sorry, I know. I just... I had to say it out loud."

"I hear you baby." He said with a smile as he held her head in his hands.

"One month." He repeated her words back to her, putting a small smile on her face before she returned to the plane.

Each step felt higher than the last as she climbed on board feeling like her heart and soul were screaming.

This doesn't feel right. Something's not right.

Taking in a few shaky breaths, Emma boarded the plane, claiming a seat next to Olivia who immediately picked up on her unusual demeanor. And as the plane took off and their flight was well underway, one thought played within Emma's mind on repeat - I shouldn't have left.

*****************

Four days later

****************

Emma stayed true to her word, texting and calling Grayson every day, multiple times a day. The ship had good wifi and the satellite phone wasn't needed while she was on board. She had bunked in the same room with Olivia and the two had unpacked and been to several briefings on the ship as they made their way overseas.

It had been a long journey, but the ship had arrived at the foreign port safely.

Emma grabbed her bag of equipment and phone, readying herself for a day of consultations with amputees. She anticipated many veterans who would be in various stages of healing, along with a few civilians who had been impacted by the ongoing conflict. With a smile on her face and all the confidence in the world, Emma and Olivia walked out with the rest of the medical staff to survey the tattered hospital that was less than a mile inland.