Future Part 2: The Twist

At first she looked shocked, then (And I couldn't believe I was seeing this), she looked angry. She got up from the table and started screaming "Why the fuck did you do that Maddy, why did you bring me back?! And why did you think that staying down here with that creature was a good deal?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing; I didn't want to; I almost didn't. Was she seriously angry at the fact that I brought her back to life, I asked myself. In fear I started screaming back at her "You weren't supposed to stay dead Beth! I was righting a wrong, but I couldn't do it with my power because I didn't have enough! I thought you would be happy."

However, she replied with something that made my heart stop, something that made me rethink this entire thing, "I was with mother, Maddy! I finally saw her face. I wanted to stay dead, Maddy, with her!" She fell to the floor sobbing. I forgot how to breathe. How did I not think of this? I thought I was being selfish for not wanting to sacrifice myself, but it turns out that I was being selfish for wanting her to come back. I should've seen this, I should've thought about what was on the other side. Then I realized that... He knew.

That was why he said I couldn't go back to Earth, not because I would be bound to him, but because he knows the only thing Beth hates more than him is the fact that she can never see our mother... And I was the closest thing to a mother she had. She'll be lost for eternity without anyone to care for her, and he knows it. I was filled with rage as I ran out the door and yelled "Lucifer, we need to talk!" He walked in from my right nonchalantly, as if nothing was wrong and asked "What is it, my beauty?" I didn't know what I was thinking at the time, but I slapped him across the face when he said that. "That is for calling me all of those things." I slapped him again and said "And that's for tricking me into this deal."

He rubbed the cheek that I had slapped. Then, I'm guessing in an attempt to sound innocent he said "Whatever do you mean, Madeline?" I almost believed he didn't know until he smiled a smile that said I knew. At this point I couldn't control my anger; so this time I tried to punch him in the face. Only this time, Lucifer caught my hand before I could make contact. I tried to pull away; but the more I struggled, the tighter his grip became. Finally, I gave up and relaxed my arm. He let go, and placed his hands behind his back. However, I was still furious about what he did so I said "Reverse it. Reverse the spell and send Elsabeth back to my mother." I tried to say this in a forceful tone, but I almost started crying when I said mother.

I started to walk out of the room so he wouldn't see my tears. I was just about to open the door and storm out, but I stopped when he said "I'm afraid that's not possible, Madeline" I turned around, but I didn't move after that. I tried to keep my emotions together when I replied "What do you mean, not possible? You cast a spell. Just reverse it and send her back!" I stood there waiting for him to agree, but he didn't. Instead he took a few steps towards me and said "I could but, she won't go back to your mother." I held my breath for whatever he said next, because it couldn't possibly be good. "If I give her soul back to death, then he will send to her to the proper circle of hell, where she belongs." He said this in a voice that would make God himself shiver in fear.

At first I thought I was grateful to Lucifer, for all that he has done, but now I loathed him for it. Especially for this. I tried thinking of a way out of this, a deal I could make, something I could offer; but all I could think of was that night in 1652, when I met him for the first time. I should've run away, with Elsabeth at my side; then at least we would be together in heaven with mother right now. But instead, I might become the Devil's consort, and Beth is an immortal who wants to die.

I decided to reduce to the one thing I promised myself I was never going to do; groveling. I walked to where Lucifer was standing in the middle of the room and got down on my knees, begging him to let Beth be with my mother. "Please, Lucifer, I'm begging. Elsabeth hasn't been happy since 1652; let her be happy, that's all I'm asking. Please, please Lucifer." Tears were streaming down my face, and a lump was forming in my throat. However, I thought it had worked, because he helped me up and wiped the tears off my face. But I was wrong; he then whispered "Save your energy, Madeline, you'll need it for tonight." My whole body froze when he said that, just the thought of what was going to happen made me want to puke. Instead, I just ran through the halls and into one of the bedrooms in the upper wing of the castle. I threw myself onto the bed and cried myself to sleep.