appetizers

Appetizers, the next check box. Something that comes before the main meal, but still late enough to have some memory of it happening. A choice of food, but not as many options as the future.

My weiling filled the backyard of my childhood home, the old wooden fences and the sand pit just the same as when I left it.

My leg was laid out on the ground, a red sticky liquid spilling out of the wound. “Shit, shit!” My dad cursed under his breath not knowing my childish brain heard the unfamiliar word.

A damp fresh cloth was put over my new wound made from falling onto the ground, wiping the blood off. A white cream sort of mixture was out of my leg, making the sting of the injury soften. A bandaid was then put over all of that, concealing the sight of the damage done to my body.

I sniffled, hugging my father as he hugged back. “You're alright kiddo..” He comforted me as I wiped my snotty nose on my sleeve. He grabbed my smaller hand and pulled me up gently, giving me a comforting side hug.

“Let's go get some ice cream before your mom comes home, our secret.” He said looking at me and putting a finger up to his lips. I giggled, nodding my head and smiling a big smile with all my crooked teeth.

“Yeah!” I cheered, running into the house and making a b line for the car, my dad laughing from behind me.