The Raven Conspiracy

Chapter 1 – A Troll Under the Bridge.

I never expected it to get the job so easily. I expected an interview – or at least to send in my carefully prepared CV – but the voice at the other end of the line simply told me to report to the offices the next morning at seven a.m. sharp. So there I stood, shivering in the morning-chilled air, waiting for an answer at the door.

I checked my cellphone. Seven-fifteen. My new boss was late. I rapped against the wood once more, rattling the gate. Still no reply. I was sure that I had awoken the neighbourhood already. In fact, a homeless man stared at me from under a nearby bridge.

I punched in the number I called the previous day. An answering ring from inside the office told me that my call was futile. I leaned against the rusting gate, considering grabbing something to drink and returning later. Hopefully, my nameless boss would be at the office by then. I pulled the straps of my purse onto my shoulder, preparing to walk to a nearby coffee shop. I was sure I passed one on the walk from the bus station. The GPS on my phone confirmed that there was, in fact, a cafe nearby and the quickest way to get there – without crossing the traffic-packed main road – was by walking under the bridge. I glanced at the underpass. It was loaded with the hobo’s possessions and I caught its stench even at a distance. The man leered at me as he picked his nose. I did not want to walk through there – especially not alone.

“I guess I’ll wait,” I murmured.

“Wait for what?”

I whirled around, my heart bouncing to my throat. A young man fiddled with a key and shook the gate. A second later, it, and the door, swung open.

“Are you...Mr Hallow?” it took me a moment to remember the name on the advert.

“The one and only. Are you my new assistant?”

“Yes...Maya Taylor, sir.”

I placed my hand on my chest, still reeling from the surprise a little. I really hadn’t heard him approach. Strangely enough, there was a motorbike parked nearby. By the look of his leather jacket and the helmet he had in his hand, it was a motorbike he just climbed off. I could have sworn it hadn’t been there a moment ago.

“Well, Miss Taylor...Welcome to the office.”

He stepped inside the office and flipped on a switch.

“Just Maya, if you don’t mind, sir.”

“Whatever. Just stop calling me sir or Mr Hallow.”

“Er, okay,” I was put off by his manner. “What should I call you?”

“Kairo,” he answered. “You can enter, you know. I’ve turned all the traps off.”

I walked into the dimly-lit office. Without a backwards glance, he dropped his jacket and helmet on one of the desks.

“Had any trouble getting here?”

“No, it was easy enough. My bus was a little late, but that didn’t matter since I did make it here by seven.”

“Good, I thought I’d have to beat up the troll again if he gave you any trouble.”

“What troll?” I asked, not sure if he was serious despite the fact that he missed my hint about him being late.

“Oh, sorry...Human. I forgot. Never mind.”

He laced his fingers together and stretched his arms up, yawning. Something glinted at his belt.

“It’s been a long night. Coffee?”

“No, thank you. I’m avoiding caffeine.”

“Not for you. I meant that you should get me some coffee. There’s a place not far, and money in your desk drawer. Just avoid going under the bridge.”

“Why?”

“Because of the troll,” he said with a grin.