Chapter 33 - The Chase

Chapter 33 – The Chase

“So I’ll get it back from the police? I just have to go to the station with the photo?” asked Mrs Blackwell, doubtful.

“That’s all. Your statue might not be part of the recovered items, but it will be returned to you soon. They’ve taken up the full investigation now that we’ve provided leads and names,” Kairo answered.

“I knew that my brother-in-law wasn’t to be trusted...It’s just like him to have make up rumours about me. Thank you, detective. I’ll transfer your payment once I get the statue.”

Mrs Blackwell stood up and shook Kairo’s hand. She glared at me in response to my smile.

“It was good doing business with you,” he said. “But don’t call me up for a theft again. I prefer murders.”

She turned her glare to Kairo. Taking the cue, we let ourselves out of her house. After the previous night, Kairo didn’t want to risk anyone following us – so we took the bus to be inconspicuous. Eric Blackwell and his cronies – as I decided to refer to them – were still out there somewhere. He didn’t trust them not to execute some form of revenge.

It didn’t take long for the bus to pull up to the stop. I climbed aboard, paying the fee while Kairo found us seats. It wasn’t difficult; the bus was almost empty. Just three people sat scattered around. I joined him; I sat by the aisle why he took the window seat.

The doors hissed closed and the bus pulled away. I glanced around; I was a little surprised by how few people there were. Although it was one of the quieter times of the day, I expected the bus to be at least half full. Across the aisle, a heavily-built man stared out the window. The driver was a woman, hidden behind long, dark hair and sunglasses. At the back, only a man’s hands were visible around the edges of a newspaper. A teenager bobbing his head to music sat near the front. The bus pulled to a stop. The teenager climbed out. There was the rustle of the man at the back closing his newspaper. The doors closing again and the rumble of the engine.

 Kairo clenched the hand resting on his leg. He kept his eyes on the surroundings and tapped my hand twice.

“Maya?” he murmured, barely moving his lips. He spoke so softly I was uncertain whether I heard properly or not.

“Maya, don’t look now...Eric Blackwell’s the man with the newspaper. The driver is Vanessa. Don’t react, but this is a trap.”

I froze; fear travelled through my veins. It was a trap. Ever so casually, I turned my head and pretended to yawn. Through my squint, I saw Mr Blackwell’s easily recognisable features. I took out my cellphone and opened a blank message.

What do we do? I typed and tilted the screen for him to read.

He shook his head a millimetre and shifted his hand to the gun strapped to his belt.  His eyes darted around the bus; he was waiting for them to make a move.

“Next stop,” he murmured.

I inclined my head, the faintest indication of a nod.

I felt my body tense up slowly. The strain at the base of my neck; tapping my fingers on my lap and shaking my leg. With Vanessa at the wheel, I somehow doubted that there would be a next stop.

Sure enough, the bus drove straight past the next stop. I saw an irate transport user wave a middle finger at the speeding vehicle as it passed.

Kairo placed a hand on my shoulder, gave it a reassuring squeeze and stood up.

The bus lurched to a stop.

“Detective Hallow,” said Blackwell, folding his newspaper flat and throwing it down. “It’s f***ing good to see you again.”