Chapter 2 - Coffee Shop Encounters

Chapter 2 – Coffee Shop Encounters

I stood in the line at the coffee shop, waiting for the man behind the counter to speed things up.  He was occupied with a deep conversation with the customer, rather than making coffee.

“Another jewellery theft?” I overheard.

“Yeah. My sister can’t believe it. The necklace my mom got on her anniversary, my Sylvie’s engagement ring...All gone.”

“That is just terrible,” the barista noticed that he had another customer. “Best of luck, buddy. I’ll let you know if I hear or see anything.”

“Thanks. I appreciate it.”

The man picked up his take-away cup, paid and finally left.

I stepped up to the counter. The barista was serving another customer. Ten minutes. That’s how long I’d been waiting already. I was ready to forget about Kairo’s coffee and leave, but decided the cafe’s interior was more hospitable than the dark office. Plate glass windows offered a full view of the very unimpressive road, which was bursting with traffic. Sunlight cast the room in a cheery glow, combined with that warm, rich scent of fresh coffee made the place inviting. I glanced up at the menu board, considering getting a sandwich for lunch or a cup of herbal tea to drink. Unsure, I looked at the other customer’s order. She had a take-away cup filled with something that smelt divine, and a chocolate croissant. I was reconsidering my break from caffeine already.

“Can I help you, miss?” asked the barista. Then he frowned.

“You’re not from around here,” he said.

“No, I’m not...I just started working in the area. Today’s my first day.”

He leaned across the counter,

“Really? Where are you working?”

“For the detective. Kairo Hallow?”

“Oh, you’re working for Kai. His new assistant, I assume? Shame, it was rather sad what happened to the girl who worked for him before. Terrible story. Tragic, even.”

His large, hazel-coloured eyes glinted with a hint of gossip.

“What happened to her?”

I couldn’t help burning with curiosity. Which was exactly what the barista wanted.

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you. Kai is a good friend of mine, and he told me the story in confidence.”

Annoyed, I frowned.

“But...” he added conspiratorially. “You might just learn more if you spend more time around this coffee shop.”

“Leave the girl alone, Jared,” interrupted the other customer. “She already has more than enough attitude to deal with if she’s Kai’s assistant. She doesn’t need you messing with her too.”

The barista – Jared – smiled sheepishly.

“Whatever you say, Mrs Colfer. The customer is always right.”

“Yeah, yeah...Just give the girl her coffee.”

Jared busied himself with the coffee machines, muttering to himself.

“How are you settling in to your job? You can let me know if Detective Hallow gives you trouble. What is your name?”

I smiled at the woman.

“I’m Maya. Maya Taylor. You know Kairo?”

“Everyone around here knows Kai. A few years ago, he found the person responsible for vandalising the Troll Bridge. I let him rent the office he’s using at a discounted rate as payment. You’ll find that we live in a very close community here, even though we’re in the middle of a city.”

“That’s interesting. What’s with everyone and trolls?”

As Mrs Colfer began to answer, Jared interrupted with my order.

“Here you are, Miss Taylor. It’s on the house today.”

I gave him a brilliant smile. His eyes lit up.

“Thank you so much. I’ll be back tomorrow. Maybe then you can tell me the rest of the story?” I said.

 “We’ll see. Goodbye, Miss Taylor. Mrs Colfer.”

I walked out of the coffee shop, wondering what I had gotten myself in for.