Chapter 37 - The Raven Conspiracy

A/N Dedicated to my amazing friend, Jen, for being awesome and always so supportive and brave 

Chapter 37 - The Raven Conspiracy

He spoke so softly I had to lean forward to hear his words. I felt a catch in my throat as I processed his words. Having his parents murdered when he was fourteen...It couldn’t comprehend how it would have affected him. I didn’t press him for details, seeing how he struggled to reveal that about himself. Instead, I reached for his hand on the table and took it, giving it a comforting squeeze. He glanced at me and I saw a faint glimmer in his eyes; tears, I realised.

“That’s actually the first time I’ve had to tell anyone that about my parents. Everyone else close to me already knew about their deaths,” he gave a small smile. “You’d think that after all this time, I wouldn’t miss them so much – but I still do every day.”

I couldn’t imagine how he felt. I had both my parents, alive and well, who were such a part of my life. Going years without having them near...That amount of loss was something I couldn’t comprehend.

“They were both journalists,” he continued. “Before they were killed, they were investigating something – it was going to be the massive scoop that would set their careers skyrocketing. Anna and I barely saw them that month – they were always out interviewing people, researching, and building their story. When they were at home, all they saw were their computer screens and phones. Then, one day, just before their deadline...They just didn’t come home. The police had no idea what happened to them, only that they were found dead on a street corner. That was it. I searched everywhere for their notes, recordings or anything that would give me a clue, but it had all disappeared. The only thing that survived was my dad’s journal. ”

I processed his words, taking them in slowly.

“You think the scoop was this Conspiracy?”

He nodded slowly,

“From what I’ve learnt over time, I know that it was some sort of organisation or syndicate. For a while, I suspected Parliament – they’re still a possibility in my mind – but this Conspiracy now seems equally...guilty.”

A sudden, scrambling noise broke the silence. Before I could even turn around, Kairo had his gun out, pointing it at Art. The latter stopped, but looked far too calm for someone with a dangerous weapon pointing at them.

“You move and I shoot,” Kairo warned.

Art folded his arms, rolled his eyes and laughed.

“You’ll use violence against Art. So barbaric.”

Kairo’s grip around the gun tightened.

“Where do you think you’re going? Get back to your corner.”

“Kairo,” I said gently, touching his arm. “No-one said he had to stay there in the corner the whole time. He’s not going anywhere. How would he get out? This place is locked up so tight and you’re the only one with the keys.”

“I don’t trust him,” he barely glanced at me, not shifting his gaze from Art.

“Neither do I,” I answered. “But you’re being a little extreme.”

“There’s nothing stopping him now from murdering either one of us with his bare hands.”

“That only happens in the movies, doesn’t it?”

Kairo just laughed.

“I’ve seen it happen in real life. I’m a murder detective, remember?”

I scowled, knowing that he was being completely serious and making fun of me at the same time.

“If you two are done squabbling, Art would like to say something.”

Kairo pulled the trigger and a bullet-hole appeared in the wall, millimetres next to Art’s head as the bang made me reel. Art smirked at the hole, clearly thinking that Kairo was off-target. I knew from experience that, had he really been off-target, Art would be dead. That was a warning shot.

“Speak fast. My patience is very thin right now.”

“The Raven Conspiracy. That’s what they are called. Don’t threaten Art with violence again, or you’ll learn no more.”

His smirk grew a couple of centimetres as he gave each of us a lingering look before stalking back to the corner where he leaned against the wall and watched us. I knew what he was doing – he was waiting to see if we’d take the bait. He wanted to prove that he was too valuable to kill.

“Can I break his kneecaps? Please? The kneecaps cause so much pain,” Kairo whispered to me.

“No. He’s negotiating. I’m going to give him more time before I speak to him again. He might be getting used to us - either that or he’s starting to get scared.”

“I think he’s scared. He is terrified and he’s trying to mask it. You stay here with Art. I’m going to see what I can find out about this Raven Conspiracy. At least we have a name for them now.”

I nodded. He slid a dagger across the table to me.

“I’m sure you can handle using that if you need to.”

I picked it up, felt the weight and turned it over.

“It’s a little bigger than the one I use to chop onions with at home, but it will do.”

He got up, pressed the laptop into my hands and tossed up the set of keys.

“Hey, Kairo...”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t do anything stupid or reckless.”

I was concerned after I saw the way he responded to Art. After his revelation, I hoped that he wouldn’t react to anything emotionally – what happened to him would have left its scars.

“You underestimate me, Maya. I have years of experience.”

“Yes, but you’re not perfect. Don’t...don’t go alone, okay?”

The words just slipped out. I hadn’t even formed them in mind. He was, after all, just going to get information and - I hoped – not take on anyone. After the attacks the previous day, when I abandoned him and he came back so badly injured, I didn’t want him to be alone and take similar risks. Since I knew, no matter what I said, he would not let me go with I had to ensure that someone did. I had an idea of who to call.

“I’ll be careful, Maya,” his tone was too confident, too assured. The second I heard him click the multiple locks shut, I retrieved my cellphone and dialled a number I didn’t think I’d need to use.

Jen answered on the first ring.