Loyalties

Rumeenah sat under a tree and watched Ben sing in front of everyone. She found it ironic. 'Be our guest' yet no one had the decency to treat her or the others with courtesy. 

She noticed Mal and her friends watch over from the balcony and Rumeenah's golden eyes met Mal's green. For once Rumeenah didn't care to keep staring and turned her attention back to Ben's performance, if one could even call it that. 

She kept watching Ben, even after he stopped singing. She watched him kiss a young lady's hand, then hug his parents, only seeing the backs of them. Part of her wanted to look the king and queen in the eyes but she quickly ignored the feeling and stood up, looking away. 

Her eyes locked on Carlos and Jay by the foods table. She made her way over, in no particular hurry. 

"Tell me, is that a smart idea?" Rumeenah inquired as they stuck their tongues in the chocolate fountain. They stopped once she said that, chocolate all over their faces. "Charming." She said, handing them a napkin. 

"What do you want?" Jay asked as Carlos took the napkin. 

"I have a query." Rumeenah said, holding her hands behind her back. 

"A what?" Carlos asked, his mouth still full of chocolate.

"A question." Rumeenah held back from rolling her eyes. "Where do your loyalties really lie? With the Isle, or with yourselves?" 

They boys immediately looked at each other.  Rumeenah read their expressions then smiled. "I see, it's neither. It's with eachother. You follow Mal around like dogs." She did a slight bow and left them utterly confused as she walked away. 

Rumeenah watched as a photographer took a picture of Ben's family. Ben and his father in the same blue suits and Belle in an awful yellow dress. Ben then called over for Mal. His parents stared in shock and Rumeenah laughed to herself. 

So much for not judging a book by its cover.

"Rumeenah!" Someone said her name and she looked over. Jane walked over with a level of confidence unusual for her. 

Rumeenah looked back at Ben. When Mal got over she and Ben shared a hug. 

"I was hoping I could talk to you." Jane stood in front of Rumeenah, blocking her view. Rumeenah bit back an insult telling Jane to go away. 

"I'm flattered?" Rumeenah looked at Jane in the eyes. 

"You have magic right? So you could do what Mal couldn't?"

"And what your mother won't." Rumeenah crossed her arms. "What would I get in return?" 

"What?" Jane looked confused. 

"I could make you look however you wanted to look. I could do it easily, but what would I get in return?" 

"I could pay you-"

"Jane, dearie, I can make gold. Material wealth has no value to me here. What would I get in return?"

"I don't- I don't have anything."

"Then I will do nothing for you." Rumeenah touched Jane's shoulder. "Nothing personal, I was taught not to divulge in charity."

Jane's confused face turned into a snarl. "You- you- awful  girl!"

Rumeenah felt a smile on her face before she could stop it. She put her hand on Jane's cheek. "On the Isle do you want to know what I would do when someone insulted me?" She traced her finger down Jane's cheek, threatening to cut it before holding her throat, not gently but not enough to hurt her. Jane's eyes widened and dilated. "I skinned them alive and sent the scraps to their family."