Chapter One

Lucas Whitlock's POV

I walked into Queen Clarisse's office in Genovia and bowed, "Your Majesty." Queen Clarisse smiled, "Lucas, my dear boy. You have no need to bow. I owe your parents my life and you will always be a grandson to me. Now, you will accompany Joe and me to San Fransisco, California. My granddaughter Mia is there and I have a meeting scheduled to meet her to inform her about her heritage." I smiled, a little confused, "I'm just a sixteen-year-old guard. What good will I do?" Clarisse smiled, "You're very close to Mia's age and it might help the situation if she sees a boy her age in this lifestyle." I nodded, "Sounds extremely thought out, Your Majesty. I will pack a bag." 

After packing a bag enough for about a month, we got on the royal jet and headed to the United States. 

--------In San Fransisco-----------

As we were in the limo, I sat up front with Joe and I gazed out the window, seeing a pair of girls riding scooters. Joe glanced over at me, "I know that you want to be a normal child, but you know that your duty-" I nodded, "Is to protect the royal family. Joe, I know my job. I accept it, but don't you think that for at least one day, I should just be a regular boy? Just to experience it? One time?" 

I heard the Queen chuckle in the back, "He is right, Joe. Just one day will be fine. Lucas, while we are here, you get one day to experience the life of a teenage boy. Pick a day and tell Joe and me." I smiled, "Thank you, Your Majesty." Joe chuckled, "Make it a day when there is a girl involved." We all chuckled and arrived at the Townhouse. I walked on one side of the Queen as Joe walked on the other side and we walked into the townhouse. 

"My granddaughter will be here shortly after school ends. Charlotte, you and Lucas will accompany me when she arrives," Queen Clarisse said as she walked into her office. Charlotte nodded and wrote down some things, "Yes, Your Majesty." Another guard came in, "Your Majesty, Miss Thermopolis has arrived." I looked at Charlotte, "That was quick." 

Charlotte and I walked towards the foyer where Miss Thermopolis was sitting and Charlotte was on the phone, "For their daughter Marissa. She's allergic to peanuts. And we need new pillows for the Prime Minister's wife, she's allergic to goose feathers. Also, please replace the flowers on the Whitlock's headstones with lilies. Every week before the flowers die we need to replace them with fresh. Lucas wants his parents to be honored and so does Her Majesty." Charlotte hangs up the phone and smiles at Miss Thermopolis. I gazed at her and softly smiled, seeing Prince Phillipe in her. 

"Hello, Amelia," Charlotte smiled, "I'm Charlotte, from The Genovia Attach Corps. This is Lucas Whitlock." Charlotte held her hand out and Miss Thermopolis smiled and shook her hand, "Hi, it's nice to meet you both." Miss Thermopolis went to shake my hand, but I grabbed it softly and kissed the back of her hand, "Welcome, Miss Thermopolis. It's a pleasure to have you here." Amelia blushed, taking her hand back, "Um, where am I?"

Charlotte smiled, "The Genovian Consulate. Lucas likes to call it a townhouse, just to be funny." Amelia smiled, "You have pears in your flowers." I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw the Queen. I stood straight up and respectfully as Charlotte kept talking to Amelia, "Genovian Pears. We're famous for them. Now, if you sit down, she'll be with you in a moment." 

I bowed to the Queen as she came down the stairs, No, I don't need a moment, I'm here," Queen Clarisse smiled at Amelia, "Amelia, I'm so glad you could come." Amelia smiled, "Hi, You've got a great place." Queen Clarisse smiled, "Thank you," She looked Amelia over, "Well, let me look at you." I smiled discreetly, she looks perfect. Amelia smiled and took off her glasses, furthering my point of her being perfect. Queen Clarisse hesitated, "You look so...young." Amelia looked off to the side, a bit confused, "Thank you. And you look so clean." I flinched at the awkwardness from both of them.

"Uh, Charlotte, would you go and check on tea in the garden?" Clarisse asked Charlotte, then looked at Amelia, "Please sit." The guards sat as soon as Her Majesty and Amelia sat, but I continued to stand. "Lucas, my boy. Please sit," Her Majesty smiled at me and I smiled, "With all due respect, Your Majesty. I am in no position to sit with-" Clarisse yanked me down to sit by her, "Sit." I sat there in silence and blushed as Amelia giggled behind her hand. 

"So, um, my mom said you wanted to talk to me about something. Shoot," Amelia said and I looked at the queen confused, "Shoot?" The Queen clapped her hands after looking at me with a small smile, "Oh before I 'shoot', I have something I want to give you." I gave the delicate box to the queen as she carefully handed it to Amelia. Amelia took it, "Oh, um, thank you," She opened it up to find a locket and smiled, "Wow."

The Queen smiled, "It's The Genovian Crest. It was mine when I was young. Lucas has a ring from his father with the same crest." Amelia accidentally dropped the box in her lap and I flinched as the Queen did, "Uh, and that was my great-grandmother's." Amelia chuckled nervously, "Heh. I'll keep this safe. I will take good care of it." I flinched as I watched Amelia start shoving the box into her backpack and the Queen grabbed my hand, flinching as I did. 

"Now, what did you want to tell me?" Amelia asked as she tried to put the necklace on, only for her hair to get in the way. I panicked and without permission, I stood up and helped Amelia place the necklace on. Amelia turned around, "Thank you-" I got lost in her eyes, both of us staring at each other before Clarisse coughed to get our attention. I bowed to Amelia and went back to my seat beside the Queen, ignoring the Queen's smug grin towards me. 

"Something that I think will have a very big impact upon your life," The Queen as she looked back at Amelia. "I already had braces," Amelia said, grinning and I smiled softly. The Queen shook her head, "No, it's- it's bigger than orthodontia." Charlotte came back into the room, "The tea is served, ma'am."