Chapter Seven

Mia and I walked hand in hand to school, Lilly was chatting with Mia as Micheal and I were laughing and sharing stories. I'm glad everything is okay between us, I would have hated to be glared at by Micheal the rest of my life. 

Once we walked up to the steps to school, Mia looked at me confused, "Why is there a news crew?" I narrowed my eyes, suspiciously, "Mia, stay close to me." We walked up to a guy with a camera and Mia smiled, "Excuse me, hi. Who are you all waiting for?" Lana yelled out, "There she is right there! That's Mia Thermopolis!" The guy grinned, "We're waiting for you." The guy took her picture and I shoved him away, protecting Mia, and guiding her up the stairs to the inside.

The reporters started talking all at once and I gestured for the Principle and gym teacher to help. We all ran upstairs and sat in the principles office, waiting for the Queen and Helen. "The phone is ringing off the hook," The Principle said, holding up a newspaper and Mia's jaw dropped, "What?!" She took the paper and looked at it closely. Mr. O'Connell hung up the phone, "Mia, your mother is on her way." The Principle's phone rang and she picked it up, "Gupta. Mm-hm. Mm-hm." She hung it up and looked at Mia, "The Queen is coming to Grove High School." 

Mia looked at me and I grabbed her hand, rubbing it in reassurance, "It will all be okay." I stood behind Mia's chair and as she looked sad, "Mom, I don't know who told on me." I watched as Gupta made coffee for Clarisse and nervously brought it over. Helen sighed, "We'll get to the bottom of this." Gupta started shaking, "Here's your tea, your majesty. I'm sorry we don't have finer china." Clarisse smiled and grabbed it quickly, "That's perfectly all right." Gupta handed Helen a foam cup, "Here." Helen looked offended as Patrick grinned. I stood beside Mia with a sneer, "When I find out who did this-" Mia grabbed my hand, "Luc. I'm sure that this is just a big misunderstanding." I looked at her in shock, "Misunderstanding?! Mia, you were bombarded by the cameras and questions. You are still learning and if I wasn't there-" 

Mia smiled and stood up, kissing my cheek, "But you were with me. Yes, I am still learning, but you will be there the whole way." I blushed as Helen and Clarisse smiled at us, "All right, you win." Mia sat back down and the Queen smiled knowingly, "I see you two have made up." Mia smiled and held my hand, "With even more progress." Helen squealed and hugged me tightly, "Thank god! I was afraid you'd end up with Josh, Mia." Clarisse set down her tea, "Joseph." Joe came in with Paolo and I snarled, trying to stalk over to him as Patrick held me back.

Joe glared at Paolo, "Speak." Mia looked confused, "Paolo?" Paolo took a breath, "Majesty. It was I who told the press about you, Principessa. I outed you, so to speak. I don't mean to imply-" Joe stopped him as he tried to walk forward. Paolo said thank you and continued, "But not for money, Principessa. Paolo hates money. He spits on money. There was no money. Well, there was some money. After all a man like me, each ring is-" 

I struggled against Patrick, "You better get to the point before I make you!" Clarisse smiled softly at me, "Mia take care of my light work." Mia stood up and kissed my lips, making me freeze up, not expecting it. Helen giggled and Paolo gulped at my outburst, "The point is, it was pride and ego that drove me to know that royalty would see one day the beauty was mine! The hair was mine! That I, Paolo Puttanesca, was responsible for-" Joe pulled him out of the office and I glared at him the whole way out. 

"That is just awful. Doesn't anyone respect royalty anymore?" Gupta said, trying to kiss some royal butt, then squatted down to the Queen's level, "What is it like in Genovia, your majesty? Do people just fawn over you?" I walked over and picked Gupta up and away from the Queen, "Please refrain." The Queen nodded, "Would you give us a moment alone? Joe, would you please take this fine educator and show her our plans for Amelia's safety?" Joe looked confused, and then with a look he understood, "Ah, yes. Please come with me." 

Helen groaned, "A week ago, Mia was a normal kid." Clarisse shook her head, "She has never been normal. She was born a royal and we cope with the press every single day and we will do it again." Helen looked at Mia, "You don't have to do this. You can get out of this whole thing right now." Mia was looking away from everyone and the Queen nodded, "Your mother is right, Amelia. We had a bargain." 

Mia turned around and looked at me and I smiled sadly, "Mia. Don't let me make the decision for you. If you don't want to do this, I will not stay in your way of that." Mia sighed, "All right. I will think about it and let you know soon. Grandmother, is there a rule that if I don't take this that Lucas and I will have to break up?" Clarisse smiled, "Absolutely not. Even though he is a Lord and if you don't take the throne it will more than likely go to him, there is nothing in the law that stops you two from being together." Mia smiled, "Great. Lucas, I'm not breaking up with you. You're stuck with me, either way, I choose." I looked at the Queen impressed and she looked at me the same. " Good. A diplomatic answer. Polite but vague." 

We all walked out of the school and headed into the limo to get away from all the press. Mia cuddled up to me as Joe smiled in the rearview mirror. I kissed Mia's forehead and smiled back at Joe.