Chapter Two

I stood by the table as the Queen and Amelia sat down, drinking their tea, albeit, I don't think Amelia has ever drank tea before. 

"Amelia, have you ever heard of Eduard Christoff Phillipe Grard Renaldi?" The Queen asked. Amelia looked at the table, "No." The Queen frowned, "He was the Crown Prince of Genovia." Amelia smiled, "Hmm. What about him?" Clarisse smiled, "Eduard Christoff Phillipe Grard Renaldi was your father and Lucas's mentor." Amelia snorted, "Yeah, sure. My father was the Prince of Genovia. You're joking. I believe the part about Lucas. " I smiled, liking the way my name sounded coming from her mouth. The Queen looked at me in confusion, "Why would I joke about something like that?" 

I smiled softly, "To a teenager who knew her father as a man that divorced her mother, she thinks that you're trying to trick her, Your Majesty. She never knew her father the way we knew His Highness." Amelia nods, "Seriously, if he's a Prince, then I-" The Queen cuts her off, "Exactly. You're not just Amelia Thermopolis. Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Princess of Genovia." Amelia's face formed into disbelief, "Me? A Princess? Shut up!" The Queen looked stunned, "I beg your pardon? Shut up?" The royal waiter came over quickly, "Your Majesty, in America, it doesn't always mean 'be quiet'. Here it could mean, 'wow', 'gee whiz', 'golly'." 

The Queen looked relieved, "Oh thank you. I understand," She looked back at Amelia, "Nevertheless, you are the Princess. I am Queen Clarisse Renaldi and Lucas is Lord Lucas Whitlock, one of the last Whitlocks from the guards of the crown in Genovia and was being taught by your father about being a royal." Amelia looked shocked, "Why on Earth would you pick me to be your Princess? Lucas would more than likely do a far better job." 

The Queen sighed, "Since your father died, you are the natural heir to the throne of Genovia. That's our law." I smiled, "And I would never step into where I am not needed. Her Majesty was very kind in bringing me in to take care of me after my parents passed so I would never take advantage of that kindness." Clarisse smiled and patted my hand, "I am royal by marriage. You and Lucas are royal by blood. You can rule. Lucas is trained to step up if something should ever happen to the Renaldi's."

Amelia's eyes widened, "Rule? Oh, no. Oh, no. No. No. No. No. Now you have really the wrong girl. I never lead anybody. Not at Brownies, not at campfire girls. Um. Queen Clarisse, my expectation in life is to be invisible and I'm really good at it." I smiled softly, "I've noticed you. I can't see why anyone else hasn't. I am confident with the right training that you can excel at being a wonderful ruler of Genovia." 

Clarisse smiled and nodded, "Amelia, I had other expectations also. In my wildest dreams, I never expected this to happen. But you are the legal heir, the only heir to the Genovian throne. Lucas believes in you. I believe in you, and your father believes in you. We will accept the challenge of helping you become the Princess that you are. Oh, I can give you books. You will study languages, history, art, and political science, Lucas can help you with all of that. I can teach you to walk, stand, talk, sit, eat dress like a Princess, and given time, I think you'll find the palace in Genovia a very pleasant place to live. Just think, Lucas will be with you every step of the way." 

I blushed and avoided the Queen's eyes. Amelia looked at her like she was crazy, "Live in Genovia? Whoa. Whoa. Rewind and Freeze! I'm no princess! I'm still waiting for normal body parts to arrive. I refuse to move to and rule a country and do you want another reason?! I don't want to be a princess!" 

Amelia grabbed her things and ran away. "Amelia! Amelia! Come back here." The Queen got up and I did as well, "Your Majesty, should I?" Clarisse shook her head, "No. Let her go." I sighed and Joe walked over. "Oh, well. That went well, didn't it?" The Queen asked Joe. Joe sighed, "Perhaps she needs more time." Clarisse looked at Joe, "Will you help me? Lucas, will you?" 

I nodded with a smile, "If Her Majesty asks it of me, then I shall." Joe raised an eyebrow, "I'm the head of your security and you want me to be a chauffeur and a babysitter while Lucas attends her school?" I scrunched up my nose, "But I'm already excelled through the citizen's classes. I'd be sitting there doing nothing." Clarisse nods, "For the time being, yes. The child needs protection." I nodded as Joe did, "Of course, Your Majesty."

Clarisse sighed and smiled, "Thank you. Lucas, I'll have a uniform brought right over for you to attend tomorrow. And to let you know. I don't have a problem with you being interested in Amelia. You are a Lord, so by law, it is perfectly acceptable for you to court her." I blushed, "Your Majesty, she probably doesn't even like me like that. We just met!" Joe chuckled as the Queen did and I blushed even harder. 

This is going to be a long process.