Chapter Five

I paused hearing the music once again and I smiled as I saw Clarisse and Joe dancing, Charlotte also saw and smiled, and we both slowly backed away to not disturb.

---------The Next Day---------

I smiled as I walked toward Mia, who was bumped into by a male she was apologizing to. Lilly smiled, "Mia. Are you ready!?" I caught up to Mia and Lilly and greeted them with a smile, "Good afternoon, ladies." Lilly giggled at Mia's face, who looked completely awestruck, "Yeah. Only friends my butt." 

Mia woke up, "Oh, Hey! I'm really sorry, but I can't do it today. I have a grandma thing and I'll just call you. Bye!" I waved bye to Lilly as Mia grabbed my hand and ran off with me in tow. We ran to the townhouse and Mia ran in the grass while I ran on the pavement. "Mia! Stop tearing up my grass!" I yelled to her laughing as Mia giggled and continued sprinting across the grass.

I cackled as she lost her shoe and made it in the door before her, freezing when the guards looked at me smugly. "You like her," one said and I blushed, "Hush." Mia shoved past me and ran into the room, "I know I'm late!" I snickered, "She's late."

I walked into the room where Charlotte and Her Majesty were sitting and the Queen looked at me, "She's late. Did you two stop tiptoeing around each other finally?" Mia and I blushed as Charlotte giggled behind her papers. The Queen looked around, "Where is Paolo?" I groaned, "Noooo. She looks perfect."  Charlotte smiled and called, "Send in Paolo." Paolo walked in and smiled, the Queen greeting him, "Ah! Always prompt." 

Paolo smiled, "Regina Mia. Buon Giorno. My assistant, Gretchen and Helga." The Queen bowed her head, "Good afternoon. We're so pleased you could make yourself available to be here." Paolo clicked his tongue, "Your Majesty." He knelt down and continuously kissed her hand and even I was uncomfortable. I yanked Paolo up, "You have greeted Her Majesty with more than enough respect and greeting." The Queen looked at me with a smile, "We won't waste time. Let the work begin."

Paolo nodded, "Ah. Of course. Where is the beautiful girl?" The Queen gestured to Mia, "My granddaughter, Amelia." Paolo looked over and screamed, everyone flinched and I walked over hugging Mia close to me and sneering at Paolo." The Queen smiled at me, "Lucas. It's quite alright." Paolo smiled, "She is gorgeous. Let us take a closer look." The Queen nodded and I let Mia go, sitting beside the Queen, pouting, "Your Majesty..." Clarisse smiled and patted my hand, "I know, Lucas. But be patient. Paolo, we have a limited number of days before the state dinner. Oh, I would love it if your ladies would also sign our confidentiality agreement." 

Paolo smiled, "Majesty, they know what is a secret, eh?" Paolo handed the forms to the ladies and Charlotte spoke up, "Excuse me, Your Majesty. The Genovian Press Secretary's waiting for your call." The Queen looked at her watch, "Oh, yes, of course. I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave and come back and be surprised. Lucas will continue waiting here." Paolo clapped and the Queen looked at me, whispering, "Watch him like a hawk." I nodded sternly, "Yes, Your Majesty."

------Timeskip--------

"Majesty, Paolo is exhausted. Because Majesty, only Paolo can take this...and this... and give you," Paolo started as his assistant's finished, "A Princess." They removed the photos and I spit out my drink in surprise and was completely shocked at the transformation. I thought she was utterly beautiful before, but now.....she's a goddess. Mia smiled and blushed at my reaction. Everyone else looked at me with small smiles. 

The Queen walked forward and smiled, "Better. Much better." I stared at Mia with a completely awestruck look, "Goddess." I blushed hard, "I said that out loud didn't I?" Mia giggled, "Yes, Luc." I covered my face and turned away from all of them in embarrassment. I continued standing there as everyone else went for tea. After about five minutes, I felt Mia's arms wrap around my waist and she giggled, "Lucas, will you please look at me?" I uncovered my face and blushed, looking at her, "Yes, Princess?" Mia smiled, "You always call me that. Why do I have a feeling that you like calling me that?" I softly smiled and cupped her cheek, "And if I do?" Mia smiled and fluttered her eyelashes, "I like it." The Queen came back in and smiled, "Am I interrupting something?" Mia and I separated with blushes and I coughed in embarrassment as we both walked into the foyer for some tea.

-----------The Next Day---------

Joe pulled up to Lilly's home and Mia smiled, kissing my cheek, causing me to blush. I tried to open the door but Mia pushed me back, "I have it. Please." I nodded with a smile and just sat back. Mia opened the door to reveal a male that looked at Mia with a lovesick expression and I glowered, realizing that this was Micheal. Lilly came up to the door and sneered at her brother, "Micheal, don't always think you can get a ride with us," I watched as Lilly looked at Mia in astonishment, "Oi. Who destroyed you?" Mia looked confused, "Oh, you think it looks that bad?" 

I smiled, "I think she looks beautiful either way." Lilly deadpanned, "That's because you're whipped. Mia, you look ridiculous. You should sue." Mia chuckled nervously, "I know it's a little straighter and shorter-" Lilly scoffed, "Weirder!" Lilly got in and Micheal smiled, "An attractive weirder." Lilly glared at him as he got in the car, "No, it's not attractive." Micheal got in and immediately looked at me with a glare, "Who is this?"

I glared back, still holding Mia's hand, "Lucas Whitlock." Mia giggled nervously and removed her hand from mine, "He's just a friend." For a moment, I looked hurt, but realized once again, that she likes Micheal. I concealed my hurt and nodded, "That's me. A friend." Mia flinched at my words as I got out of the limo and sat in the front seat, avoiding Joe's sympathetic gaze. 

I ignored Lilly's rant and Mia's teardrops falling into her lap as she took Lilly's words. Joe drove us to school and we all got out of the car. Micheal and I had a staredown as Joe talked to Mia before we headed inside. You know what. Nevermind. I don't want to go. After glaring at Micheal for a bit, I got back into the limo, ignoring Mia's call.

Joe got back in and shut his door, "Are you okay, Lucas?" I sighed, "I've had enough of experiencing the life of a regular teenager. I don't know why I ever thought she would like me. We met what? A week ago? She's known him for longer. I'm a guard. Not some eligible Lord good enough for a Princess." Joe sighed, "I'm sorry, my boy. I am truly sorry."

We drove back to the townhouse and I ran upstairs and to my room, ignoring everyone's questions, knowing that Joe would explain. I looked into the mirror, adjusting my security outfit.

It's time to do what I was originally taken in for. Continuing my parent's work and making them proud. Not falling in love with a Princess that will never love me back.