CH 15: The Battle for the High

"Nathan? You awake?"

Nathan didn't sleep well, but he felt like he had been woken rather abruptly, but as he opened his eyes, his grumpiness dwelled down upon seeing Jonah, Billy, and Karina by his side as he and Emily were waking up.

"Oh hey guys. What are you doing here?" Asked Nathan. Billy then put his hand behind his head, looking apologetically. "We felt guilty we didn't come with you, so we figured we'd come along when we heard transmission between some of your group was cut off," he said. Jonah chuckled at Billy before looking back at Nathan.

"No, it actually was my idea, well, Karina was in on it to-"

"Nah, even though this winter apocalypse is bad, it's more reassuring when you guys are at my side," Said Nathan. And then the two friends shook hands.

"Hope you kids enjoyed your reunion, because we have to get ready to leave in a few hours," said Sally as she peered inside the room. "Ok then, thanks I guess," said Karina. "Just looking out for you kids," said Sally, and soon, the kids were brought out to see the additional soldiers, about 30 of them to be exact. Most of them were being briefed on their mission details that would take place soon for them to find and save survivors within the high school of just making sure everyone had warm clothes and weaponry for going outside.

"Oh, right, forgot this was about you and your brother and parents getting rescued," said Jonah. "Good that you know, although you sound unprepared," said Nathan.

"No, it's not that, but its worth it to fight alongside you, especially you with that rifle yesterday that we heard about," said Jonah. "Oh, well, thanks," said Nathan. Just then, another soldier walked up to Nathan with the rifle in his hands. "Figure you could use this later," he said.

And as Nathan was given his rifle back, he looked at Jonah, who looked as if they were already ready to fight for the high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If one could describe the front of Berkwale High School at the time, it would easily be referred to as a war zone. Monsters were all over the front of it, as well as the parking lot, which was also littered with dead bodies and crashed vehicles among the snow.

Anyone looking in the direction of the place was almost like looking right into the eyes of death himself, and going near was practically a suicide mission. But Nathan knew this would make or break him and the others, and he knew he could rescue his brother and family, or at least receive closure, whether they were alive or dead.

Although, at that point, he was beginning to wander off track, and so, when the sergeant gave the orders, Nathan and the others prepared for battle. It wasn't long before a bloody fight erupted, with humans and monsters fighting for the stand.

Nathan and the others were all fighting in the middle of the big group of roughly 40 or more soldiers for safety, but they still figured they wanted to get in on the action. Using the rifle and their various other weapons, it was very possible that the kids' efforts only helped speed up the process of retaking control of the high school parking lot. After the initial fight was over, the injured soldiers were loaded back into the vehicles to be taken back to base while the rest moved further into the building.

While passing the front office, Nathan then reminded himself of when he and Jonah first searched the elementary school and found Emily, Billy, and Karina. He also remembered the horrors he had found inside, and this time he was more prepared for what would be discovered, which was expected after surviving almost a month in a winter apocalypse. And it wasn't long before passing by bodies within the building that had been dead and decaying for weeks. Nathan shut his eyes and put his hands around his nose, trying to block the smell. But as he did so, he heard the sounds of shooting and screaming.