22: under starcourt

Mollie (pov)

Once the elevator stopped Robin asked us if we were okay. It was a resounding 'yes'.

Steve on the other hand, I could tell he was scared shitless. "Yeah, I'm great, now that I know the Russian's can't design elevators!" He then pushed Dustin out of the way of the buttons and tried all of them so we could get back up.

"I think we clearly established that those buttons don't work," Robin said.

"They're buttons. They have to do something."

"Yeah, if we had a keycard," I said.

"A what?"

"It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door . if we don't have a keycard it won't operate, meaning-"

"We're stuck in here," Dustin said, interrupting me.

"Unfortunately."

"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if I'm not home for Uncle Jack's party tomorrow and my mom finds out your four are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throat," Erica said, angerly.

"Erica, none of that matters right now. What matters is how we're gonna get out of this place. Your mom's not gonna be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator," I told her bluntly.

Dustin had the suggestion of climbing out. It was a good idea. Him and Steve went through the door at the top to see if we could.

"Hey! So are we climbing," I asked.

"Nope. we're probably like fifty stories under the mall," Steve said. I could hear the slight panic in his voice

~~

It was the next morning, according to our watches and the mall would open soon. We spent the night in the elevator. Steve, Robin and I took shifts to sleep to keep watch if anything were to happen suddenly.

When Dustin woke up he took out his walkie and tried to get a message out to anyone who would be able to hear it. Steve went onto the top where Dustin was, all of us could faintly hear what they were saying but didn't have the patience to fully hear.

When Robin and I were awake, we talked and got to know each other more. After all this I think we could be great friends. I've always known her around school but we never had the same class together. I suggested that she get with Steve after this and she immediately rejected the idea. I didn't get why, Steve is an amazing guy and deserves someone special. Plus I just want him to do a double date with me and Eddie one day.

We were still talking when we heard liquid hitting the wall, Steve was taking a piss. Did he really have to do that now? As it was hitting the wall some of it was hitting our shoes, gross.

"Can you redirect your stream, please," Robin called out.

He gladly did and we got to see it being moved in real time. I hope that was the first and last time I've ever had to experience that in my life.

Meanwhile, Erica was trying to open up the containers with the mysterious liquid. Good lord, I don't know if I want to have kids after this.

"Hey, hey! Be careful! We don't even know what that is," I said to Erica.

"Exactly, it could be useful," she said.

"Useful? How?"

"We can survive down here a long time without food, but if the human body doesn't get water, it will die."