14. I'll Always Protect You

"Oh hell no Reese. Where I go, these guys with me go and the girls too," James said with a chilly voice and hard stare that convinced Reese his nephew was not fooling around.

"Solo, I never planned to separate any of you. The moment you told me they were with you I knew they'd be with you, wherever you ended up. That's why I brought them behind me."

James's eyebrows rose and he nodded.

"Alright. Just want to get that shit straight right off."

"Damn, I figured you knew that was a given."

Reese turned and directed Dingo and Tilley to get packed up and to bring the girls over with Carolyn. "She'll be joining us as well. Those girls, uh, Lacy and Krisslyn, might need her help to adjust."

Dingo and Tilley left and Reese motioned the rest to follow them.

Macallan and James hopped out spotting Lacy and Krisslyn helping Carolyn to pack up an enormous duffle with food so they walked over. Lacy glanced at them and stopped what she was doing to point them over where two water bottles and a couple of energy bars waited for them on a stump.

Dylan copped a hurt expression and Lacy rolled her eyes. Carolyn reached in her pocket and pulled out a crunchy granola bar and handed it to him with a grin. He snatched it greedily and Lacy smirked.

"Really Dylan?"

Carolyn shrugged at Lacy's frown.

"Growing boys need lots to eat," she said sheepishly.

"Yeah, and he's growing alright." Lacy replied sarcastically," going back to her packing.

Macallan came back over and as he munched he noticed Krisslyn looked much better. Her color had returned and she was smiling as she chatted with Carolyn.

James went to stand next to Reese and together they watched as the group packed what they could into the back of the panel truck beneath the benches. The rest was thrown in the back of a pick-up.

Neither acknowledged the other but it was apparent they spoke quietly.

"So, Jonnie, my boss. Are you sure she's dead?" James asked staring straight ahead. "Because you know something strange is going on, like what Mac was saying about the Deputy-"

"Yeah. I'm aware. Actually I have Intel I haven't shared Solo. When we get to our base camp I'll brief you. But just so you know, I blew her head off. Had too."

James nodded very slowly.

"Not to change the subject but do you know where we're going Solo?" Reese asked next.

"I had a good idea when you mentioned the air raid bunker, but I wasn't aware we had a black site in Alabama," he answered.

Reese nodded curtly. "Yeah, you wouldn't of known because we just recently established it. It's not your, common black site. Let's say, its special. Put together by a few of the, old guard," he replied mystically but smiled.

"Old guard?"

"Yeah, James," Reese finally looked at him. "We're silvers James. All of us."

James just stared at him.

Reese waited, watching until he saw the light of realization dawning in James eyes.

"Are you goddamn kidding me Reese? Silvers?"

Reese threw his head back and laughed out loud.

"Holy shit Reese. A bunch of old fucks?"

Reese didn't reply. He just took a breath and whistled, getting the attentions of the group and barking out instructions.