27. Standby For Further Instructions

As Macallan and Lacy stole secret moments of passion downstairs, the alcoved comms room was filled to the brim with everyone standing behind Macenna who manned the desk.

Normally he commanded the show but at this moment he was at a loss.

Reese was growing impatient and James edged his way over to stand beside him.

"I don't know what I can do, Sarge," Macenna muttered. "This program has totally taken control."

"Well at least get Basinger on the horn! He needs to know about this!" Reese shouted.

Suddenly all the deck monitors across the wall scrambled and a written data dialogue appeared, along with the smooth robotic voice who had introduced itself earlier as Linda, filled the room.

"I have taken the liberty of contacting Admiral Basinger, as well as all other official groups. I am now accessing the files of Sargeant Roddy Reese. According to the files six men are listed as joint staff members and one radio control officer. According to the stats listed you are all accounted for and present. Linda will now activate drone footage of the surrounding area and check the stocks in the inventory."

"This is insane," Macenna growled.

"Checking provisions. ..., Ah. Linda has determined that you have enough provisions to last a month, if divided equally among the known listed personell. However, drone footage has captured the existence of several unmanned enemy craft which will prove detrimental to survival in this location. There are two known operations in active status and Linda recommends you evacuate to one of these. The closest distance, Operation Scatter Orb, is currently based at the 31st parallel, 30.3935°N and 86.3958°W. The operation consists of three advanced Naval carrier strike groups, USS Nitze, USS Truxton, USS Delbert and one civilian expeditionary unit, USS Mahan. You will begin, operation evacuate, in 72hours. The current Commanders have been notified of your arrival in 21 hours. Linda will now begin route mapping for eminent threats."

Everyone watched as the monitors switched from data encryption to Google maps and Macenna stood up from his chair in awe.

At that moment, the hand held mic bleeped static and the voice of Admiral Basinger filled the room. Macenna grabbed the mic and squeezed the talk button.

"Admiral! Come in!"

"Lieutenant Crete! Do you copy?!"

"Copy that Admiral! What is your status!"

"Is Reese present?"

"Copy Admiral! Present and center. Proceed."

For long moments the mic sat silent. The room at Reese's black site held it's collective breath. Finally static ensued and Admiral Basinger broke through the disturbance.

"I repeat, an unknown program has taken control of operations here. We have been commanded to evac within 72hrs. We are currently holding 85 Shipmates and 102 Army National Guardsmen. I've got 200 civies, that's men, women and children. Do you copy Sargeant Reese?"

Reese elbowed in beside Macenna and took the mic.

"Copy that Basinger. Copy on all points! I have all 6 Silvers, 1 EMT Army Medic and 1 Lieutenant. 1 Army Ranger, 4 civies and Silas Fisher, out!"

"Repeat Reese. Did you say Silas Fisher? Out."

"That's a 10-4. You copied right. Out."

"Copy Reese. But if I find out this Bigelow Tech is the operating force behind this horse shit let him know he'll have me to deal with. Out."

Reese looked at Silas and shrugged. "You heard the man. Best you fess up now if need be. Otherwise, your ass is grass."

Silas cleared his throat. "All I had was my single clearance Reese. I'm no more in the loop than anyone else. I swear."

Reese went back to the mic. "Copy Admiral. Fisher is in the clear. He was Single Clearance. Out."

"Copy. He damn sure better be. Alright Sargeant. We are going to leave here at exactly 0:800 in two days. Once we reach Brew Town, we are directed to use Florida St., all the way to the Florida coast, where we'll meet up with troops from Fort Pickens stationed between Pensacola and Destin. Out."

"Copy that. And..godspeed.., Admiral. Out."

Reese sat the mic down on the desk and turned to the faces staring expectantly at him.

He wasn't exactly smiling.

He had been through hell and high water with these boys. But that was years and years ago. The whole reason they had commandeered this site when shit hit the fan was to be incognito. It's sole purpose had been to provide them with cover for any collapse and keep them out of any direct warfare aimed at the homeland. They were all too old for much more. Reese had just never expected the actual shit, to be extraterrestrial.

He sighed. "Well boys, I'm sure our directions will be much the same as Basinger's. Best we get hopping. We have a lot to do between now and 0:800 in two days."

They all made to file out of the comms room when the toggle board lit up and Linda, their 'new commanding officer,' halted them in their tracks with one sentence.

"I have new Intel."

They all turned back to the security screens and watched as drone footage appeared from what Reese recognized as the immediate air space above the bunker.

James took off running out of the comm room for the exit hall where Lacy and Macallan had gone earlier as Reese grabbed the back of Macennas chair.

"Holy mother of God...," he whispered.

His men took off their caps and held them at their chests and Macenna backed up against the wall behind them staring in shock.

There on the screens, in full display black and white, hung an entire fleet of glowing, almond shaped ships. A band of lights surrounded each one and stagger flashed intermittently back and forth around each vessel. Tiny darkened windows placed above the light bands stared back at them like the eyes of a predator. Unblinking and sterile but full of foreboding terror. As if they looked into the very soul of humanity, and didn't like what they saw.

"Linda has detected enemy aircraft and will now engage. Please stand by for further instructions."