21. For Brotherhood and All That

Macenna argued vehemently against the orders of Commander Basinger, making the point that no one from the base had radioed them with these instructions when it initially happened and he wanted to know why.

The group outside the gates, had now sat down leaning against the brush covered entrance except for Dingo and Tilley who paced back and forth, madly discussing something, which Macenna assumed was the situation, if their hand gestures and facial expressions were any indication of the mood they were in but he didn't care.

The security of his team was what mattered to him and he racked his brain to come up with a way to prove them safe enough to enter. Reese had given him one hour to figure it out and it would have to pass the sniff test he'd said.

James and Macallan sat down on a couch nearby as Macenna and the 'senior staff' members discussed their options but no matter what angle they tried to work from, no one could agree on any one idea to prove it out.

After about thirty minutes of this back and forth exchange out of the blue Macallan spoke up.

"The proof you need is right in front of you."

The arguing group all looked over, their mouths gaping.

Macallan nodded. "Yep," he said standing to his feet and walking over to the monitors. "Your proof is right here," he pointed.

Macenna ran over to see what he was pointing at.

"Silas Fisher? Silas is our proof? Really brother?"

The group murmured among themselves.

"Yes." Macallan answered casually.

"Alright," Macenna cocked his head sarcastically, "for the sake of brotherhood and all, why don't you explain your theory."

Macallan bristled inwardly at Macenna's rude demeanor.

"I ought to just let you figure it out you asshole, but for the sake of brotherhood and all I won't because I don't think you'd be able."

Macallan had all their attentions now including James who leaned forward with interest.

"Have you ever run a background check on Silas?" Macallan asked.

Macenna chuckled. "No, I haven't. I can't say I've given Silas much thought at all over the years bro,"

"Well do it. You can do that here can't you?"

"Of course we can, are you kidding?"

The rest of the men came over to surround the brothers.

"Do it Macenna," Lew's urged him with nods and other comments from the men.

Macenna sighed. "Alright. I'll do it but I'm not gonna lie, I don't see where this is coming from or where it's going to lead," he shrugged and plopped down into his rolling chair.

"Well I do," Macallan added. "I spent a helluva lot a time in the Brew Town jail with Lacy's dad, and let's just say I've overheard a few things a time or two."

The more senior members of Reese's command smiled a little.

Lew's and Murfee laughed. "On which side of a bars, Macallan?"

"Both," he replied with a grin, much to their delight.

They slapped his back and laughed.

While the group was preoccupied with this new information search, James got up and quietly left with a smile of his own.

He headed to the galley to fetch Reese, because he was sure the Sargeant would want to be around for this.