23. Say When

Dedicated to @ITSKITTYLMAO

"Macallan, you stand over to the left. I want you back behind me," James instructed. "I'll be the first one they see when the door opens."

Murfee and Tac took to the right where Tac rested his hand on the red pressure release button.

"Say when," he told Murfee with that one hand on the button and his AR gripped under the other arm.

Murfee nodded. "Now."

Tac slammed his palm down, and the sound of release air echoed through the cavernous chamber. The door whooshed open to reveal Dingo and Tilley standing front and center with the surviving few close behind them.

Tac clipped a lever and the outer gate popped.

Dingo and Tilley grabbed the edges and pulled, and looked in to find three AR's and a pistol aimed right at their heads.

No one said a word.

Then Dylan shoved his way forward and Macallan strode past James to meet him in the entrance. Macallan grabbed Dylan by the shirt and drug him close clasping him in a bearhug of relief.

James sighed and dropped his rifle. Murfee and Tac smiled, following suit.

Dingo stepped into the semi darkness. "Damn. What'd y'all have to do? Get permission from the Pope?"

Murfee and Tac laughed. "Well if Basinger had updated us we wouldn't have had to call the Pope, but what the hell! Get in here! Carolyn and the girls are cooking right now."

Dingo looked at Tilley. "I told you he didn't inform them. What'd I say? I said, that old fucker would never let' em know and I was right."

"The fuck," Tilley shot back.

"I guess he didn't really expect you'd make it here," Murfee shrugged.

"Bullshit Murfee, he forgot, plain and simple."

James held up his hand whirling it over his head. "Come on men, heads up. This ain't a family reunion. We need to get this door closed."

Everyone filed in past James but when Silas stepped in James put his arm out.

"Except for you. You come with me."

Silas managed a weak smile. "What? Not enough room up there for a lowly soul like me?"

"No, there's plenty of room. You stink. You're going straight to the showers, then, Reese wants to see you in his quarters."

"Ahhhh," Silas nodded. "And what makes you think he cares about the way I smell?"

"He does. You may have invaluable wisdom, but my uncle won't put up with disrespect, or stink."

Macallan stopped where he was a few steps up on the stairway and looked back at James. Had he just heard him say Reese was his uncle?

Dylan, who was right beneath him looked back too. "What is it Mac?"

"Oh, nothing...," he murmured. "Come on let's get you upstairs. Lacy is beside herself with worry and Dylan," Macallan paused.

"Yeahhh?" Dylan asked cautiously not wanting to hear bad news. "Did someone not make it?" He whispered sullenly.

"Um no. It's not that, actually the complete opposite. Just so happens that, Macenna is here."

"Holy shit are you kidding me?! What the actual fuck. How?"

"I don't even know. I'm just warning you. We'll talk about it later after we hit the bunk."