Fifteen | "I'll try better next time."

Elijah Harris, Liza decided rather quickly, was one of the prettiest human beings in existence.

The brown eyes, brown hair, lean but lightly muscled build, and charming attitude were only part of it. Sure, those were all great attributes, but Liza had really and truly melted once she'd finally paid enough attention to see him laugh.

It was one of the most stunning sights she'd ever witnessed, and she'd been to the Grand Canyon back before she lost everything.

But oh, the way he threw his head back with mirth was so contagious it made her smile too, and he had dimples.

Dimples!

One on each of his cheeks, and, although Liza couldn't draw for shit, she wished for nothing more than to be able to capture his appearance and hang it on her wall so she never had to be without it again.

"You falling asleep on me, doll?" Elijah asked, his low voice breaking the silence that had settled around them comfortably.

Liza, who had curled against the cushions sideways so she never had to look away from the only person she'd allowed into her safe place, brought her head up and down in a slow nod, Milo's rumbling snores against her thigh doing nothing to keep her awake.

Elijah chuckled, and Liza sighed happily.

How had she ever hesitated with this man?

Oh, what a wonderful comfort he was. Who else would sit on the hard floor of her living room, telling her stories of his childhood and never requesting the same from her because he could tell that she wasn't able to talk about her own life yet?

His patience was astounding, but she was more than grateful for it.

Elijah shifted to mirror her position, his knees brushing against hers just barely, but Liza was too blissful to grow tense or shy away. "Doll?"

"Hm?"

"We're touching, just a little bit. Did you notice that you're still calm?"

"Mhm."

"So, I don't need to move away, then."

"Nh-hn."

"Can I come a little closer?"

He was waking her up just enough to grow wary, even though it wasn't his fault. Really, she would have wanted to hug him and never release him if not for her body's lizard-brained, nearly primal instinct to run from any touch that wasn't Milo's.

Her muscles tensed, starting at her spine and traveling through every fiber of her being until her eyes were wide and she was watching him cautiously.

Obviously catching her signals, Elijah passed her a tiny grin, gracing her with only one of his lovely dimples as he shifted away. The sliver between their knees was a centimeter wide at best, and she could still feel the warmth radiating from his frame, but at least he wasn't touching.

"I didn't mean to scare you, gorgeous. Hey, do you like to read?"

"Yes, Elijah." She'd never hated reading, but she really didn't fall into the obsession of devouring books until after the accident; most TV shows and movies had loud noises that sent her hiding underneath a blanket with Milo, so reading and knitting were her favorite, noiseless pastimes.

"Hm. Me too, so long as I have breaks to rest these dyslexic-ass eyes of mine. You know, we should have a reading date one of these days. I'll bring donuts for you, Oreos for me, and my favorite book."

"What's your favorite book?"

"Man's Search for Meaning."

Liza blinked, stunned. "Really? By Frankl?"