Twenty-Four | "Beyond idiotic."

"Good morning, babe!" Came the singsong, cheery voice from the front door as it was swung open, startling Liza out of the half-awake, half-asleep place she'd been hovering in for what seemed like hours. "Babe?"

She pushed the thick duvet off her body, patting Milo idly as she worked on stifling a yawn before calling back tiredly, "Here, Elijah."

She heard his footsteps rocketing up the stairs, and he appeared in her bedroom doorway a beat later, his brows raised as he analyzed her room. She didn't really blame him; there was very little personalization in her condo, since she'd moved into the place after the accident and was too scared to go shopping or sort through the boxes in her attic that had come from her previous apartment.

Still, she knew it looked sad and terribly boring.

Elijah recovered quickly, shaking his head as though to clear it and letting his eyes find hers. Frowning, he said, "Sorry, doll, I didn't mean to wake you." He shoved the extra key she'd given him only a few days prior into the pocket of his jeans.

She waved him off. "I wasn't really asleep. It's okay."

"Still," he huffed. Approaching her, he dropped into a crouch by the bed and gave Milo a brief rub of greeting. "How are you, doll? Did you sleep at all last night?"

Liza shrugged noncommittally. "I tried."

Elijah's scowl only deepened. "I still don't understand why you can't get a restraining order unless he comes back. I ought to hunt him down first and rearrange his face."

She blinked, stunned. Although she'd heard Elijah's mutterings of anger towards Carson Pierce (and Mitchell too, a few times) before, she wasn't sure that she'd ever be used to hearing such venom spewing from a man who had been nothing but silly, sweet, and kind to her.

Though, she'd be lying if she didn't admit that the sight of him being protective didn't make him even more attractive then he already was.

Damn him!

And damn her stupid heart for adoring him so much.

Instead of jumping him, Liza smiled softly. "I know, Elijah, and I appreciate that, but you don't need to do anything. He hasn't been back since, and we're all hoping it stays that way."

Her dearest friend didn't appear convinced, but he let it go as he straightened and peered down at her, his scowl gone and his dark eyes twinkling with mischief.

Her own narrowed suspiciously in response. "What?"

"That's a nice bed you've got there."

"Thanks?"

He blew out a heavy sigh, as though frustrated she couldn't grasp what he was trying to convey. "My Liza."

"Yes, Elijah?"

"I'm going to fall on the bed."

"Wha—"

The word ended in a startling, rather embarrassing squeal when Elijah dropped forward, shifting at the last possible second so that, instead of squishing her, he landed directly behind her, effectively covering her pillow with his stomach, his face pressed into the mattress. He grumbled something, but it was unintelligible, and she couldn't help but laugh once the shock had worn off. "Elijah, I can't understand you when you're talking into the bed."

His body shook with another overdramatic sigh, and he made a show of turning his head to the side so he could peer at her. "Liza, I said, 'Your bed is softer than mine and I am extremely jealous.' Also, I want to take a nap now."