Twenty | "Are you being honest?"

Liza wasn't sure why her eyes kept straying out the front window when she knew perfectly well that Elijah had only recently left and wouldn't be returning for nine days.

And yet, even though she knew that truth perfectly, part of her still hoped that she would look up and find his smiling face in the driveway, where he would hop up the steps, allow her to open the door, and then sweep her into a tight hug and tell her that he was no longer needed on the flight after all.

But that wasn't going to happen.

Reality, as Liza had come to learn since the accident, was often far more disappointing than farfetched ideas and hopeful fantasies.

She was stopped from creating anymore daydreams when the sound of ringing emanated from her computer, which was settled on the coffee table in front of her. It was Whitney, of course. Elijah wouldn't be able to call her unless she called him, since her computer was linked to her email and not her phone number—not that it mattered, she realized, since he didn't have either piece of contact information.

Something in her gut told Liza that this call, while it was technically their normally scheduled session, would bring news about the man who had scared her shitless. Milo was curled up against her on the couch, his head settled on her thigh, and she dropped a hand in his fur to ground herself as she answered the call with the single tap of a button.

On screen, Whitney looked tired. Still, she smiled. "Good afternoon, Liza. How are you?"

She shrugged half-heartedly. "Okay. Elijah left this morning for a nine-day flight, and I . . ." she huffed. "I miss him," she admitted after a brief pause. "It's the longest he's been gone in a while."

Whitney settled her hands on her desk, linking her fingers together and regarding Liza through the webcam carefully. "You know, Liza, we never discussed it in detail, but it is extremely impressive how far you've come with your friendship with Elijah."

Liza herself hadn't thought about it too much in detail either, but she had to agreed with her therapist. Smiling despite herself, she nodded. "Yeah. He's just-he, I mean . . ." God, where did she even begin with Elijah? "He's great. He's the best."

Her doctor hummed thoughtfully. "Do you think there's any reason in particular as to why you're so comfortable in his presence?"

She frowned. "I don't . . . I guess I don't know. I, well-he's so . . . He's patient," she decided finally. "And he promised not to push me, and he hasn't. And he seems to understand that I'm trying my best."

"You are trying your best," Whitney confirmed, "and you've made wonderful progress. I'm glad to see that you made a connection with someone who respects your boundaries."

Now Liza's eyes narrowed. "Why do I think you're going to add to that statement?"

A flash of amusement zipped through Whitney's blue eyes—it was a brief glimpse of humor that made Liza wonder if it was the woman's way of laughing without actually laughing. "Because I am. You have made excellent progress with Elijah, but I think we need to review the goals you set for yourself."

Liza's fingers curled into Milo's fur, the sinking feeling in her chest telling her that she knew exactly where this conversation was headed. "And, uh, where's that?"

"You set a goal for yourself to complete before next month, remember?"

Damn. Whitney wasn't going to let her play dumb. "I remember," she grumbled like a petulant child.