Forty-five-point-five | "Good God."

(Elijah's POV)

Elijah woke up to the sound of arguing.

He'd been drifting between in blissful unconsciousness for what felt like years, but the hectic noise of deep male voices bickering was enough to tug him out of sleep and deposit him back into the unkind world of awareness.

"I can't believe you jus'came in here and started yellin' at her!" One of the voices was hissing angrily. "What in the fuck were you thinkin'?!"

"How the hell was I supposed to know she knew him?!" the other voice responded, just as furious. "He never mentioned her!"

"Because she's terrified of people, dipshit! And now she's lost in the woods in a place she doesn't know, all without her damned dog! Y'jackass!"

Jesus Christ, he wanted to kick both voices out. They were loud and obnoxious and had no business being near him when he was merely trying to take a goddamn nap.

"So, we'll find her!"

"Ain't you know how big the forests are 'round here?! What if somethin' happens to her in the time it takes us to find her? Do you want to be the one tellin' Eli that you scared her off?"

Wait, this was about him? He couldn't think of any women that he cared for other than Mom, but surely she wasn't in any trouble, right?

"How many times do I have to tell you that it was an accident? Look, I didn't mean to do it, alright? None of the nurses or doctors said anything!"

"Oh, don't worry, asshat, I'll be hashin' this out with them, too."

"Good God," Elijah groaned, his eyes still closed, pleased when the noise ceased, "would you both shut up? A man needs his sleep."

"Thank God, Eli," and "Well, fuckin' shit," were the answers to his question, and he forced his eyes open, grimacing when the lights above him seared his gaze.

"Oh, hold on, sorry."

The lights dimmed just enough so he could still see his companions without feeling as though he was looking directly into the sun, and he mumbled out his thanks. When he was finally able to absorb his surroundings, he realized he wasn't in his home or the hangar—he was in a hospital.

"The hell?" he grumbled, his own voice hoarse from disuse as he looked upon Austin and his brother, Zachariah. "Why am I here?"

"Your dumb ass got in'a car accident, stupid."

He managed to grin at his best friend and copilot. "I always appreciate your compliments, Austin. Zach?" He tilted his head to the other man. "Why are you here?"

Zach's brow furrowed, until he was showcasing that I'm disappointed in you expression that Elijah had become well-acquainted with back in high school. "Was your hearing injured, Eli? You were in a car accident. Of course I came to see how you were doing."

That explanation was missing something, if the glare Austin shot the other man was any indication, but Elijah was too tired to ask about it. "How bad?"

"Three broken ribs, a fractured collarbone, punctured lung, and a beautiful array of bruises," Austin supplied helpfully.

Elijah huffed. "Figures. I'm tired as fuck." And his whole-ass body hurt, God.

Austin snorted with amusement. "But just as vulgar."

Zach managed a tiny smile as well. "Mom would be slapping you if she was here." Seeing Elijah's curious expression, he answered the unasked question with, "She and Dad were visiting friends in Florida. They're on their way back now."