Chapter 7

***ETHAN'S POV***

I got off on good behavior soon after they searched the mansion.

The first thing I did was put on some "normal" clothes.

Then, even though the officers warned me not to, I went to the mansion.

It was starting to sprinkle when I pulled into the overgrown driveway.

Let's see, I thought. Dark skies, overgrown pathway, old and abandoned mansion that happens to be a crime scene, and a storm brewing. Perfect spooky weather for something terrible to happen.

For Misty, I told myself repeatedly as I got out of the car.

For Misty, I told myself as I walked around back.

For Misty.

I entered inside the mansion. Cobwebs are everywhere.

Thunder roared and I jumped. Chill out, I said to myself nervously.

I crept inside the mansion. From the looks of it, it was deserted.

The howling of the wind, the thunder crashing, and my thumping heart were the only sounds.

"Misty," I found myself murmuring.

Stupid, I thought. She might not even be here.

I heard what sounded like a yell, moan, and scream combined.

Just the wind, Ethan.

The rain got harder on the roof. I kept looking behind me, becoming more paranoid by the second.

More thunder. I nearly yelped.

I found creaky stairs. Is that not stereotypical for being alone in an old house while it's raining cats and dogs outside?

I walked quickly up the creaky stairs, and opening the door at the top of them.

Now I was in the kitchen. No one (still) was in sight.

I crept down a long hallway, toward a room from where I heard the strange combination of moaning, screaming, and yelling.

After summoning courage I never knew I had, I cautiously opened the door.

A body lay on the carper.

Erik.

---

I didn't call the cops. I checked Erik's vital signs, and he was clinging onto life.

I used my sock as a bandage for his bullet wound. "Don't worry," I whispered, even though he wasn't conscious, "I'm gonna get you out of here."

How could Erik have been making that bizarre noise if he wasn't even aware of his surroundings. Or anything, really.

The sock stopped the bleeding, and Erik seemed to be doing better.

I locked the door then moved a dresser in front of it. No one could get in now.

Quietly, I tiptoed around the huge parlor-looking room. Still, I couldn't find anyone or anything. And certainly not Misty.

I checked behind everything - every curtain, sheet, chair - you name it, I searched it. Nothing weird or out of the ordinary.

I heard the noise again.

It sounded as if it. . . .

Came from above me?

I looked up.

My heart must've stopped.

I was too terrified to even gasp.

Misty hung above me, her neck in a noose, trying to pull the rope from her neck.