1.

Maria Posada. The most beautiful jewel of San Angel. Shipped off to study with the nuns in Spain at a young age.

And then there was you. Y/n L/n. Orphaned when Chakal last attacked and not really friends yet with Maria, Manolo, or Joaquin, you were kind of just there.

General Posada had decided that Maria needed a protector. A right hand woman, a bodyguard, someone she could depend on if Chakal and his bandits decided to attack again. So, he sent you off with her, but to train with the Spanish army, not the nuns.

While Maria left stricken with sadness over the potential loss of two friends, you left in determination that you would avenge your parents. That you would not let Chakal ruin the lives of any more parents or children, the way he had ruined yours. With the heavy burden of keeping Maria safe on your shoulders, you trained relentlessly.

Maria took fencing classes, read books, learned to sew, and learned compassion. You learned hand to hand combat and sword fighting. While Maria could defend herself against a regular person in a fight, the bandits would outnumber Maria, and she was no match for Chakal. The more you thought about this, the more the realization that you were just a defense mechanism for Maria dawned on you.

You tried not to let this bother you, eventually confiding this in Maria as you were around her constantly. She assured you that, while her father and others might think of you as a precaution for the protection of the most precious jewel of San Angel, she saw you as a sister. This did little to comfort you, but you deeply appreciated her efforts.

You also occasionally went back to San Angel to spar with Joaquin. You almost never won, but it was good practice because you would learn how to try and beat the unbeatable. You grew close to him in a sisterly kind of way.

As the years passed, Maria grew to be a beautiful, skilled, sophisticated woman. You grew to be a strong, formidable warrior. Maria's pet pig Chuy grew bigger and kept it's wide eyed, round form. It was adorable.

Eventually came the day that you, Maria, and Chuy had to go back to San Angel. Maria was ecstatic, while you were nervous. The train wouldn't wait forever though. As you loaded both of your bags into the train car, Maria shared a tearful goodbye with the nuns she had grew attached to. You saluted your General one last time, grabbing Maria by the hand and leading her to your booth in the train.

She struck up conversation as the train started heading towards their destination.

"You don't seem very excited to go back home, N/n."

She pet the pig in her lap she spoke to you, her eyes never leaving yours.

Plot twist, it's a Maria x reader.

Jk.

Anywhore back to the story

Your gaze shifted to the carpet flooring of the train, suddenly finding it more interesting than the conversation at hand. You sighed before replying.

"I'm just kinda worried, y'know? The only person I really know there is Joaquin. I'm leaving all the people I've grown to love here for a bunch of people I don't know, hundreds of miles away."

She smiled and put a hand on your shoulder.

"I promise you I'll be there for you, every step of the way. And, hey, I'll introduce you to Manolo. You'll get friends."

She narrowed her eyes, giggling.

"Besides, I think you'd like him. You seem to have a thing for musicians."

She smirked at you. Your face turned redder than her dress as you swatted at her while she laughed.

A/n: That's the first chapter. Sorry it's kinda short. Any ideas on the story or how it should go are welcome, as well as any feedback you might have.