8.

A/n: For those who read the last chapter, re-read the last few paragraphs. I accidentally pasted a couple sentences meant for a further chapter in there. It has been fixed. If you don't wanna re-read, basically the reader and Manolo weren't supposed to kiss at the end. Their relationship is not that developed yet. My apologies.

It was now a couple weeks later and you were helping Maria get ready for her wedding to Joaquin. She had chosen you to be her maid of honor, and Joaquin had chosen Manolo to be his best man. You wore a white button up, black slacks, and black dress shoes. Your sword was displayed across your back, in case you ran into any trouble, and you wore a medal of honor on your chest. Manolo wore a matching one, as you both had gotten them for saving the town. Maria and Joaquin had also received them, but figured that they would distract from the event if the ones getting married were wearing them. Your hair was put in (insert style of your choice).

Speaking of hair, you were styling Maria's. You put it into her signature high ponytail, with braids threaded throughout it. You helped her apply her makeup, which consisted of a pale pink lipstick, blush, some light eye shadow, and mascara. You put the veil over her head and stepped back to admire her. Her dress was beautiful, it hugged her frame and flared out at the end. It was plain white silk with some white flowers decorating one side of her waist. She wore plain white heels.

"You look beautiful, hermana."

Your eyes began to get misty as you looked at her proudly. She chuckled lightly, rolling her eyes in amusement.

"Ay Y/n the ceremony hasn't even started yet!"

You smiled and hugged her, pulling away and hurrying to the reception where the wedding would begin soon. There you were met with Maria's father sobbing and Joaquin and Manolo trying to calm him down. You walked over and stood beside him, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder as he cried.

"General Posada calm down or you won't be able to see enough to walk Maria to the alter."

Joaquin and Manolo pulled away from him, joining you in conversation. You grabbed Joaquin and gave him a noogie, messing up his freshly groomed hair. He shoved you off whining.

"Y/n!"

"My baby brother's all grown up!"

He glared at you with false annoyance.

"I'm older than you."

"Not mentally hermano. Not mentally."

He didn't have time to insult you back as he went to fix his hair. Manolo turned and looked at you, speaking shyly.

"Hola, Y/n. You look nice."

You blushed and smiled, returning the compliment.

"Gracias, Manolo. You too."

He looked like he was about to say something else, but the ceremony was beginning. You took your place beside the altar, as did Manolo. Joaquin stepped up onto the altar, awaiting his bride. You all waited for a few minutes and then the pianist started playing as Maria walked down the aisle with her father. You gazed in pride as she was handed off to Joaquin, taking her place beside him. Joaquin then started his vows.

"Maria, this day I pledge my everlasting love and commitment to you. I take you to be my partner, loving the person I know and trusting what I do not yet know. As we journey through married life, I look forward to getting to know the person you will become and to growing old disgracefully with you."

He took her hands in his and continued.

"I love that I’m a better person for knowing you. You’re the coolest person I know, and I promise to always be your biggest supporter and loyal partner. If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 99 minus 1 day, so I never have to be without you."

You silently cried with a smile on your face as Maria started her vows.

"You cannot possess me for I belong to myself. But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give.
I vow you the first cut of my meat, the first sip of my wine. You cannot command me, for I am a free person,
but from this day it shall be only your  eyes that I smile at each morning."

She paused to caress his cheek.

"I shall be a shield for your back as you are for mine. I shall serve you in those ways you require, and the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand. I shall respect you as I respect myself. Our love is never-ending, and we will remain, forevermore, equals in our marriage.

Above and beyond all this, I will cherish and honor you through this life and into the next. By the life that courses within my blood and the love that resides within my heart, I take thee to my hand, my heart, and my spirit, to be my chosen one."

They stared into each other's eyes with love that you'd never seen before, as You pulled Joaquin's ring from your pocket, handing it to Maria. Manolo pulled Maria's ring from his pocket, handing it to Joaquin. Joaquin and Maria put the rings on each other's fingers. The Priest smiled before speaking.

"If anyone objects the union of these two young lovers, speak now or forever hold your peace."

A girl in red seated next to her two identical sisters in blue and yellow stood up and began to speak.

You calmly walked down the altar, threw her over your shoulder, walked to the door, and threw her out. You dusted your hands and took your place beside the altar again. The Priest resumed.

"Ahem... You may now kiss the- groom?"

Maria grabbed Joaquin by the waist, dipping him into a kiss. They parted as everyone clapped and cheered. Maria held out a bouquet, throwing it behind her.

It landed in your hands. You looked around, both in relief and sadness. Slight sadness that Manolo wasn't next to you, but relief that no other man was either. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Joaquin frown at this and give Manolo a shove, shrugging in your direction. He walked over to you as you gave the bouquet to Chuy. The pig started eating it as he walked away, most likely to Maria. You turned to Manolo and greeted him.

"Hola, Manolo. Having fun?"

He smiled at you nervously.

"Eh, sí."

The music in the room turned more romantic as people started coupling up and dancing, the bride and groom in the middle of the floor. Manolo extended a hand to you.

"Care to dance?"

You smiled and took his hand. Just as you were about to be led onto the dance floor, the doors burst open. Xibalba and La Muerte strode in. Apparently only you, Joaquin, Manolo, and Maria could see them. La Muerte looked pissed while Xibalba looked nervous and stressed. She dragged him over to all of you and shoved him in front of you.

"Go on. Tell them what you did. Tell them what happened."

He chuckled nervously as he met her glare.

"Chakal may or may not have stolen the Medal of Everlasting Life again in the Land of the Forgotten and escaped..."

La Muerte tightened her grip on his arm, him flinching.

"Tell them how he was even able to do that."

"I got distracted meddling with human affairs."

She nodded, though disapprovingly.

"You meddled with human affairs."

She then turned to you.

"We no longer have much leeway as Dia de los Muertos is not until a couple more months. We cannot get it back ourselves. We need your help getting it back from him."

You spoke up.

"Why us specifically?"

She put a hand on your shoulder and a hand on Manolo's.

"We have chosen you two to be apprentices of the Gods."

"WHAT"