2.

The train slowed to a stop as it entered the station in San Angel. You wiped your hands on your pants and grabbed the luggage, helping Maria off the train before escorting her back to her old home. You watched her and her father reunite before retiring to your quarters. You unpacked and stared out of the window, mentally preparing for tomorrow.

It was still midday, but you were tired from the long journey so you were about to get ready for bed. You stopped as you heard a knock on the door and Maria's voice on the other side.

"Y/n?"

She waited politely on the other side of the door for your permission to enter. You opened the door and gestured for her to enter.

"What's up?"

"Papá wants you to accompany me to Manolo's bullfighting match in the arena in case the bandits attack again."

You sighed, grabbing your sword and sheathing it across your back.

"Let's go, then."

Maria grinned and took your hand, leading you to the arena. Upon entering the arena, all eyes we're on you two. Or rather, mostly on Maria. You let go of her hand and walked at attention, head held high with a serious expression as you flanked her.

Maria on the other hand, had a more gentle approach. As the crowd broke out into murmurs about her, she held a fan in front of her face, stopping to ruffle a small child's hair. As she moved on, you stopped momentarily to hand the child a piece of hard candy. She smiled up at you in thanks as you nodded in return before striding next to Maria again.

Maria reached her seat and said hello to her father and Joaquin while you stood at attention behind her. The general noticed this.

"At ease, soldier."

You nodded, replying.

"Yes sir."

You relaxed more and turned to Joaquin, striking up conversation to occupy the time left until the match started.

"Long time no see."

He turned to you and smiled.

"Yeah. How about we spar after this? I wanna see how much you've improved."

It was your turn to smile as you nodded. Your gaze turned to his shirt as you admired his new medals. He noticed this and began to brag. You rolled your eyes as you listened to him, amused. Suddenly, Manolo was announced and entered the arena. He sent a wink to Maria. She rolled her eyes, unamused. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Joaquin smirk at this.

Maria gestured to the seat next to her, so you sat down, locking eyes with the young bullfighter in the arena. As the bull was released, you waited in anticipation for the fight to begin.