9.

Joaquin put a hand to his forehead and fell, fainting. You stepped forward to catch him, holding him bridal style while waiting for La Muerte to explain. Maria facepalmed at her husband while Manolo let out an exasperated sigh as if this has happened before.

Xibalba stared at Joaquin briefly before explaining.

"Our jobs as Gods have successors and apprentices. When we wish to step down, we get to live peacefully in the afterlife. We may still travel in between worlds and we still have god-like powers, it is just the duty of being a God that is relieved from us. However, we may only step down if we have apprentices ready to take on the new role, otherwise the world will delve into chaos."

La Muerte then finished what he was saying.

"That is where you come in dears. If you can prove yourselves worthy by retrieving the medal, then you can become Gods and we may retire."

This sparked a question from Manolo.

"If there are four of us and only you, Xibalba, and the Candle Maker, then how are all of us supposed to be Gods?"

La Muerte smiled as she answered him.

"There is another. Pachamama, otherwise known as Mother Nature. She is wanting to retire as well to focus on her children."

This answer satisfied Manolo and he nodded. You spoke up.

"Why us?"

La Muerte stared at you with a gentle and knowing smile before replying.

"You all show great tenacity and potential. Now, we will leave you to it."

She handed you a map, you shifting to throw Joaquin over your shoulder so you could hold the map as she and Xibalba vanished.

"Hm. Helpful."

You spoke sarcastically, giving the map a once over. It appeared to be a map of the way to a village of bandits associated with Chakal. You figured he would either be there or the bandits would know where he was. You turned to the other two, speaking.

"Well, let's go pack."

You walked with Maria to her and the General's house, dropping Joaquin on the ground and going upstairs as Maria explained to her father what was happening. You walked to your room and packed a bag consisting of your clothing, your daggers, a few miscellaneous items, ( insert sentimental item of choice), and medical supplies. You made your way back downstairs to see a now awake Joaquin, Manolo with his things, and a tearful goodbye happening between Maria and her father.

As your companions got ready to leave, you walked in front of the general, standing at attention and saluting. He smiled proudly at you.

"At ease, soldier. You are dismissed."

You grinned back at him and hugged him, replying.

"Sir yes sir."

You stepped back from the hug and left the house. Looking around at the town one last time, you felt saddened that you would probably never return. Or, at least, to the townspeople you would never be back. You could visit as a spirit, but they likely wouldn't see you. Turning to Maria, who also had a saddened look on her face, you held her hand as all of you started the trek to the bandit village.

A/n: Sorry this chapter is so short and crappy, I've been busy with school. I'm also a but iffy about how the story line is going so far, so any feedback or advice is appreciated.