ten

It took all night. We didn't sleep. I love the night, but I couldn't function properly without sleep.  The alterations we made to the canoe were brilliant though. With these, there wasn't a doubt we would lose, and if it came down to it. I could control my electricity enough to where I could probably just electrocute the siren. 

We walked past Bianca, I smirked at her as we went in separate directions. Enid stood up seeing us approach her. Bianca probably thinks she has secured her win for this year's Poe cup.

"We're all set," Enid muttered.

"Good. Thing's in position." Wednesday confirmed.

"Wanna tell me what you three were up to." She smirked leaning closer to us. She gently knocked our shoulders.

"And ruin surprise." Wednesday looked around at the passing students. 

"Speaking of surprises, your costumes are in the tent." She added. I leaned away from her.

"Costume?" Wednesday asked her eyes wide.

"What costumes?" I asked her. An evil smile spread across her face. She shrieked grabbing my arm and yanking me forward. I was lucky enough to grab Wednesday as well. The three of us going together.

----------

It was tight. Although it was black, it was tight and it was latex.

"OMG, you look purr-fect." Enid raised her hands making a claw gesture.

"Good one." I grimaced tugging at the ears on my head. Enid grabbed my hands bringing them away from the false ears.

"One thing," She moved her face in front of mine and then to Wednesdays. "Where are your whiskers?" She asked.

"Ask again and you'll be down to eight lives." She threatened. We followed Enid as she got into the canoe after her lead. Then Wednesday and then I sat down in the back. I saw ahead of me as we each held up our paddles ready to take off, Enid smirking. I looked across and saw she was smirking at Ajax, she even gave him a small wave.

"Focus," Wednesday warned. I was not losing. Glancing back towards Ajax, I saw Xavier looking over here. I saw that Wednesday was looking at him as well, but when I looked, I realized. Xavier wasn't looking at her, he was looking at me.

"What do we have here?" Bianca called from her canoe. "The runt of the litter." I looked over at her. "Oh two, even better." She smirked at us. We were everything but dead weight.

"For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else. Just that I am better than you." Wednesday smirked.

"Correction," I interjected. "I believe everyone is better than Bianca Barclay." I gripped my paddle ready to watch her crumble.

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allen Poe Cup. this is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years ago. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from crack stones crypt, and hustle back with sinking or being sunk." I looked over to Xavier. Weems talking in the background. I watched as he mouthed 'good luck to me. A cruel grin tugged at my lips. I slowly shook my head at him.

"You're gonna need it," I muttered back. I saw Wednesday turn around glaring at me. Holding up my hands in surrender I refocused. 

"The first team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges. Let the Poe cup begin!" The sound of the gun released my adrenaline. 

"Go! Go! Go!" We paddled hard, the water trying to fight against me. I used my strength to keep it from wiggling in the water, allowing it to take control. My arms already started to burn from the repeated action.