fourteen

I wasn't allowed to help Thing sabotage the dedication ceremony. After Wednesday told me about Crackstone's genocide I wanted everyone to know it was me who did it. I would be able to add it to my arson record, but Wednesday advised against it. Since I needed to stay at the school to help her find the monster. I doubted she needed my help, but if she wanted me to stay I would. I didn't mind being around her since we are similar we don't have to speak all the time.

I stood near the edge of the bleacher where the edge of the gasoline had stopped on the concrete. Thing said I could light the line as long as I move away fast enough not to be seen. The band was filling their spots. Wednesday had her cello out ready to play.

"Thank you!" The mayor announced getting everyone's attention. "It is my honor to celebrate our town's history and Jericho's noble forefather, Jospeh Crackstone. Now, he believed with a happy heart and an open ear, there was nothing our town couldn't achieve. So together as one, our community and our friends at Nevermore Academy, we've built a monument to celebrate his memory." Weems was smiling around at the crowd. Grinning like a fool. "Now, may the spirit of Joseph Crackstone be memorialized for eternity." The band started playing some kind of upbeat song just as Weems said. I saw Wednesday glance in this direction. Thing tapped my shoes as well.

"Got it," I smirked snapping my finger near the gasoline. Three times. It was like lighting flint and steel. I saw the flame grow moving down the line. I stood up fixing my blazer as I stepped behind the bleachers. The hiss of the gasoline-burning up as it made its way around to the fountain. All I heard was the sound of the band killing my brain cells. Then the explosion went off. Screams filled the air. I stayed near the back of the bleachers watching everyone run around frantically. After most of the students cleared the bleachers I walked around the side sitting down on the metal bleachers. Wednesday was playing her dramatic music as she smirked at Weems from afar. I just watched as my cousin enjoyed creating chaos. Also, I had a front-row seat to Joseph Crackstone's face melting off. You couldn't miss that.

----------------

I was sitting at the foot of the window finishing up my book. Well trying. Enid kept asking me for clothing opinions for her meet-up with Ajax tonight.

"Too much?" She asked holding up a very colorfully patterned long sleeve. My eyes widened seeing all the colors.

"Yeah." I nodded slowly.

"I feel like you just napalmed me," Wednesday muttered as she returned to tap on her typer writer. No matter what happened or what she had going on she always devoted a single hour to writing.

"So glad I have my date with Ajax tonight. Get my mind off that trainwreck of an afternoon." Enid sighed. I raised the book higher so it would cover my face as I smiled. "I literally think I have PTSD." Dramatic. "I didn't even get to do my dance routine."

"What a tragedy." The chime of the finished page sounded from Wednesday's desk.

"What kind of a twisted psycho would want to sabotage such a life-affirming event?" She asked. I raised my finger pointing to myself. Only because Enid's back was turned.

"You're going to be late." Wednesday reminded. She just didn't want her in here anymore after what she just said.

"Wish me luck, " Enid whined. I lowered the book looking over the edge. She looked scared.

"If he breaks your heart, I will nail gun his." Wednesday threatened.

"I allow you to keep the heads of his snakes," I muttered raising the book to cover my face once more. I heard her move across the floor and then the door close. I flipped the page to my book and finished the last page. This book was not turning out how I wanted it to. Recently I have been interested in adventurous romances. I blame Morticia and Gomez. Half of their library is romance. Usually, I would live for a good tragedy. Shakespeare is known for his romantic tragedies, but in this story, it just seemed right. I closed the book leaning my head against the cold glass.