Thirteen

My next step is to visit Rome and Riva.

Nancy couldn't give me many details regarding the people that worked there, which only meant one thing. I'd have to talk to the people myself.

It's quite likely that some of the staff may not work there anymore, especially if the boss is as bad as he sounds, but this was the biggest clue I had.

I wanted to understand why the person behind the emails had sent them to me in the first place. What did they want me to know?

I'm walking to my car when I spot the definition of a human Golden Retriever. Ben is checking his mailbox when he looks up, spotting me.

I suppress a groan when he begins to wave, making his way towards me with a giant smile plastered across his face that should be illegal at this time of the morning.

"Hey. Going to tell me your name yet, or are we still playing that game?"

I raise an eyebrow, unlocking my car. "I wasn't playing any games. It's..."

I bite my lip. For some reason, I almost feel too stubborn to tell him. But I don't want to look childish in front of someone who acts like the sun rising every day is the best gift he could ask for.

"Harlow," I manage to finish, beginning to climb into my car.

"That's a nice—wait, Harlow."

I stop short of closing the door, keeping my eyes ahead to avoid the irritating stare Ben would otherwise cop from me.

"Yes?"

He scratches the back of his head, shifting from foot to foot. "You weren't going into town by any chance? If so, I was wondering whether you could..."

Oh god. Please don't tell me he's going to ask for—

"A lift? My brother isn't home, and my car is at the mechanic's. I know you don't know me all that well, but I wouldn't ask if—"

"Whereabouts in town?" I say, cutting off his word vomit.

"I've got a shift at Rome and Riva in half an hour. It'll take me three minutes max to get changed. I'll—"

"What?"

No freaking way.

I almost laugh out loud at the absurdity of this. Out of every single place he could have said he worked at, he works at Rome and Riva.

Suddenly, an opportunity begins to bloom. This is definitely going to work in my favour. Golden-Ben might be less of a nuisance after all.

"It's okay if—"

"I'm heading there too, actually."

He looks at me dubiously like I've just lied to him. I guess it makes sense. What are the chances that we are both going to the same place?

"Are you meeting someone there for lunch?"

"No. It's—it's a long story. Go get ready. I'll wait here."

"Wait, so—"

"Yes," I say. "I'll wait here."

He runs back inside, and I tap my fingers against the steering wheel nervously.

How did I start this conversation? Jump right in and ask if he knew Talia or begin with how shitty his boss sounds?

The passenger door opens suddenly, and I jump in my seat, turning towards Ben.

He runs a hand through his hair, and I look away instantly. God, help me. Why is something like that so attractive?

Focus.